Approx value of Bluthner grand

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

teenyweenyems

Approx value of Bluthner grand

Post by teenyweenyems »

:?: I currently own a 6'4" french polished rosewood Bluthner grand piano, unsure of the model number but it has those lovely double legs and was built in 1913. This instrument was reconditioned in 1995 but since then some fading has occured down one side where it was left next to a window. It is also in need of a good tune (or two!) and some cleaning inside where naughty kiddies have spilt sticky drinks. Other than that it is a magnificent instrument, action and tone are really second to none. Does anyone have any ideas (and I know this is difficult without seeing the instrument in the flesh!) as to approximately how much it is worth? Lack of space is forcing me to sell it and get an upright, but I don't want to be ripped off by any dealers I go to... Any help would be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance, Emily. :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

It is even more difficult since you have had the piano restored as how much and the quality of workmanship plays a part with a quality piano like a Bluthner your are far better spending 30 to 60 pounds to get it valued your local tuner or if you live in the south get Mr Julian B. Markson of the Piano Advisory Service to look at it
http://www.pianoadvice.org.uk/

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
teenyweenyems

Post by teenyweenyems »

Thanks Barrie. I have asked my tuner about the value but he was delightfully vague! He reckoned I could get up to &16k for it privately / at auction but that a dealer would only give me peanuts (depending on what they had in the workshop at the time etc). Two years ago the shop I bought it from offered me a pitiful &3k for it (it cost &15 9 years ago!). Do you think I would be better off to sell it privately and use the money to buy an upright, or will the offer of part-ex afford me more bargaining power with a dealer? It seems odd to me that there is such a huge difference in value between selling privately or selling back to a dealer.

Another question for you, would it be worth forking out a couple of grand and getting Bluthner to get it back up to tip top condition before selling it, or is that an investment that I may not see a return on.

Don't want it to go, it'll be like losing a limb! :(
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Having a piano tuned before selling is normally worth the money spent but spending a shed full of money on it is not worth the investment. However, have you thought of contacting Bluthners to part exchange your piano for a Bluthner upright.

You may get 16k for it at auction if you have 2 or 3 who want it Philips are very good. Trade will not give the book value or even close 3K to 6K is the most you can expect unless you are part exchanging for a expensive upright........ very expencive

A private sale will return best price but it can take months to sell or you can be lucky and sell quite quickly

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page