Clearning Ivory piano keys - need advice

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Clearning Ivory piano keys - need advice

Post by Tenor1 »

The ivory keys on a relatives piano need a bit of a clean. The join between the lower and upper key is showing. A friend suggested using white spirit? I think this could be a bit harsh. Could anyone out there give me some tips? Cheers
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Just a smear of Fairy Liquid (other washing up liquids are available...) on a barely damp cloth. You could use Duraglit for really stubborn stains, (grief, I sound like an advert) but that will take the shine off the ivory. As for the join; it shows that it's real ivory!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill the Piano wrote:Just a smear of Fairy Liquid
or F&N Key cleaner code M153 which is very good on Ivory your tuner should be able to get it for you

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Tenor1 »

To be honest she has given me the piano it is a 5'3" ish 1920's Thurmer grand, re-strung 17 year ago (Heller Bass & Roslau treble) and Renner hammers - great condition throughout but the keys are a bit grubby. Thank you both very much for you help
longbow
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by longbow »

For the general cleaning of all keys you could use Key Brite from the Cory-Care range distributed by Heckschers.
Tenor1
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Tenor1 »

Have ordered some key brite thanks