Time Capsule: Schimmel 174T

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Bristol693

Time Capsule: Schimmel 174T

Post by Bristol693 »

Greetings from the US - I am hoping some of you might be able to help me make an informed decision. You have a hold-harmless from me on this. Thanks...

I have a friend whose mother purchased a Schimmel 174T in 1985 while in Germany. Two years after she bought the piano and brought it to California, she died suddenly. My friend has not been willing to part with the piano and has kept it in a roll-up storage facility for the past 20 years. The piano is on its factory supplied moving board covered in blankets that are now permeated in thick dust that now covers the exterior of the piano itself. Blowing the dust off shows a fine high-gloss finish and, from the underside of the piano, the soundboard does not show evidence of cracking. What, are the potential downfalls that I could experience if I purchase this piano from him? There is not room in the facility to set the piano up for inspection so this would be a wholesale purchase and somewhat of a gamble on my part if I do indeed buy it from him. For all intents and purposes, this is a piano that has had virtually no use but has been neglected in storage for 20 years. There is not evidence in the storage facility of moisture, rodents, or insects, just a lot of dust on everything. Being in S. California, the temperatures in the storage facility are somewhat mild, especially in the winter. Your thoughts on any potential hidden problems would be appreciated.