"Silent" note sometimes when pedal is depressed?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

quinie
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

"Silent" note sometimes when pedal is depressed?

Post by quinie »

One of the notes on my piano sometimes does not play if you have played it a few times in a row and have the pedal depressed - if you just go up to the piano and hit it normally it plays every time so does not seem to be damaged to the point where it will not play.

However, in normal playing sometimes it just misses it and even though you press it it does not play - if you take your foot off the pedal and hit it again it is okay.

I have had a look inside and I can't see any obvious damage. The piano is due for a tune - will this sort it?

It is a 1950's Rogers and Co piano in beautiful condition and I have had it for two years without any problems.

My tuner is blind so I presume he won't be able to fix it? Perhaps I am wrong though?
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Just sounds like a tight centrepin; if your tuner can't fix it, no doubt he'll be able to recommend someone to do it for you. If you think the piano might be suffering from the damp (the weather we've had could have made it a bit too damp for your piano's taste!) then leave the top lid of the piano open for a bit to let some air circulate. You might find that's all it needs.
Bill Kibby

Sticking note

Post by Bill Kibby »

By "the pedal" do you mean the sustaining pedal? It could be a stiff jack, or a broken or missing jack-spring, or several other things, impossible to say without seeing it, but the point is that when you use the pedal, the dampers are no longer helping the note to return properly, so the pedal will always tend to show up less efficient notes. Ask your tuner.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info