Yamaha A1L

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Len
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Yamaha A1L

Post by Len »

Hi all

I did a search but could not find anyone discussing this piano (its more or less in the price range I am looking at - around GBP7,500). Does anyone know the difference between the A1L and, say, a GB1 or GC1?

Thanks!

Len
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

A1L is the start of the Pro range has duplex scaling which the GB1 has not. The A1L is made in Japan and has a better action and finished off a tad better. myself I would get the GC1 and get a good tuner to tweak the action and smooth out the tone.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Jazzer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jazzer »

How do you find such a tuner? The ones I know are unwilling to do anything other than tune.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

You're definitely better off with a GC1 which uses the slightly larger C1 frame than an A1, which is a Japanese made GB1 with a few tweaks.

(Pedants note that I know the A1 predates the GB, but it's such an unpopular model, the GB1 has almost become the definitive!)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Jazzer wrote:How do you find such a tuner? The ones I know are unwilling to do anything other than tune.

Where in the UK do you live? PM if you don't want to post on here

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Len
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Len »

Thanks for the replies. I will certainly try them both side by side. The GC1 does look like a good buy but I do have space considerations, living in London.

Barrie, would you happen to know a suitable tuner in London (I live in north London) to tune the GC1 in the manner described?

Thanks again - what a great forum!

Len
PianoFifty
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by PianoFifty »

Len, I have a GC1 which I bought new in 2005. I got it for under £7k from Chappells because its a funny colour (that plasticky satin american walnut) and was a cancelled special order they wanted to get rid of. Initially I was a bit disappointed with it when I got it into my home environment, but now its 'run in' I love it - you just have to accept the limitations of a small grand, ie unimpressive bass response and a slightly heavy action. I looked at the AiL, but wasn't impressed with it in terms of bottom end and key response If I were you (and if I were doing it again on this budget) I would go for a shiny black new GC1 from Chris Venables. Also, I'm really glad I bought the GC1 rather than a U3/U5 - it has a bigger sound and great swank value ("oooh, look, a grand piano!").
All the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order......
Len
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Len »

Interesting - I guess the GC1 is larger than the A1L so would have better bass. I will be trying them both soon - can't wait. Chamberlains is selling the GC1 for £6,999 (the black model) which seems like the best deal at the minute.

The Samick/Reid-Sohn 158cm model is going for £6,500. Will be trying that too.

Thanks again.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Len wrote: Chamberlains is selling the GC1 for £6,999 .
Their shop price are not the same as their internet prices they do point this out on the site, you should try before you buy
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Barrie Heaton wrote: Their shop price are not the same as their internet prices they do point this out on the site, you should try before you buy
This really is so important Len! Try to play the very same piano that you will take delivery of. Not a similar model, but the exact one. All pianos vary. Discount dealers often prepare a nice one for the showroom, then deliver one "just like it" from warehouse stock. This is how they achieve low prices, buy cutting down on preparation on delivered pianos. Don't be fobbed off by this practice no matter how technically proficient the dealer appears to be. If you like a piano, make a note of the serial number and insist that it's that one that you get. Oh, and

NEVER EVER BUY A PIANO SIGHT UNSEEN OFF THE INTERNET!!

I'd agree that the GC1 is so much better than the A1. The GC1 is a C1 with all the least important features economised on. The A1 is essentially these days a tarted up GB1.
Len
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Len »

PianoGuy wrote:
Barrie Heaton wrote: Their shop price are not the same as their internet prices they do point this out on the site, you should try before you buy
This really is so important Len! Try to play the very same piano that you will take delivery of. Not a similar model, but the exact one. All pianos vary. Discount dealers often prepare a nice one for the showroom, then deliver one "just like it" from warehouse stock. This is how they achieve low prices, buy cutting down on preparation on delivered pianos. Don't be fobbed off by this practice no matter how technically proficient the dealer appears to be. If you like a piano, make a note of the serial number and insist that it's that one that you get. Oh, and

NEVER EVER BUY A PIANO SIGHT UNSEEN OFF THE INTERNET!!

I'd agree that the GC1 is so much better than the A1. The GC1 is a C1 with all the least important features economised on. The A1 is essentially these days a tarted up GB1.
Point taken - and its a good one! Taking the serial no. down is a good idea - thanks.