Samick/Reid-Sohn NSG Pianos - Where in London?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Len
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Samick/Reid-Sohn NSG Pianos - Where in London?

Post by Len »

Hi there - first post here so please be kind. :)

I'm about to buy a small grand piano and have read a couple of posts here about how great the Samick/Reid-Sohn NSG Pianos are. Would anyone happen to know any piano dealer in London that might have them in a showroom to try out?

This will be my first real piano in years (I have been using a digital piano) and I don't want to mess up!!

Incidentally, I am looking to spend not more than about £7,000 so if anyone has any recommendations, I should be very grateful. I have my eye at the moment on the Yamaha GC1 (which is about £7,000). Hopefully the NSGs are in that price range...

Thanks!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The GC1 is a superb piano which takes some beating, but the Reid Sohns are wotrth trying out.

They original Reid Sohns were designed by Samick for J.Reid pianos in Tottenham, who I am certain import the current range. They're almost certainly your best bet.

Love the music btw, and Sophie Barker is simply sublime!

PG
Len
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Len »

Ah - so that is where the "Reid" bit of the name came in! Thanks so much for that - I have e-mailed them to check it out (and I'm not far from Tottenham either).

And thanks for the kind comments about my music :D

Len
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Len wrote:Ah - so that is where the "Reid" bit of the name came in! Thanks so much for that - I have e-mailed them to check it out (and I'm not far from Tottenham either).
That's about right! It gave one of the first Korean pianos to hit these shores a kind of Germanic feel to the name... Although pronounced in German, 'Reid' is more 'rite' than 'reed'! I'm not sure if Samick still build them. I think build is shared between Korea and Indonesia these days, and Samick have bigger fish to fry by being in-and-out-of-bed partners with Bechstein.

John Gregory's your man at Reid's. Tell him that Piano Guy sent you!! ;-)
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I have a piano teacher client who wanted to see if she could live around a grand piano. She bought a Samick as a stop-gap, with a view to trading up to a Yamaha after a year if she liked having a grand.
That was six years ago, and she still has the Samick. It stays in tune despite uncontrolled thrashings from her pupils, and it's a little gem.
Go for it!
Len
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Len »

I have since found out that J.Reid pianos has the model I am after (158cm grand); I shall be paying them a visit soon and will report back to you call. Thanks for all your help!

I might go and try out the Irmler grand at the Bluthner showroom in London too, although I have heard the Irmler is not great. Between a Chinese made instrument (Irmler) and a Korean made piano (Samick) there is no question which I'd trust more. I had a Young Chang 131cm high upright some years back and it was gorgeous.