These handcrafted Yamaha pianos

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

These handcrafted Yamaha pianos

Post by Openwood »

are they just there to appeal to piano snobs? I mean, I played an S4 the other week at a friend's house and had a grand old time (bass was a bit underwhelming, but basically good) but I didn't come away thinking "Gosh, that was not JUST a piano, that was an exclusive free-range, corn-fed, line-caught, oak-smoked piano."

Yes, it sounded great, but then so does the C7 I normally play at work. Is the only difference that it will take longer for bits to start falling off them or what?

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury; does the Emperor of Japan have any clothes?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The S4 is OK, but has stability issues. Sounds gorgeous when perfectly in tune, but average if not.

The S6 is a Steinway B rival. A total belter.
Jazzer
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by Jazzer »

I have been very impressed by the S6, but no more so than the C7. I keep reading in these forums about the value of a great technician and wonder how much is down to that...?

How do you set about find a good technician?! One famous recording artist recently said that he reckoned a good technician could make any piano sound like a Steinway (I think he was actually referring to a Yamaha CFIII).