Kemble Concerto

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Kemble Concerto

Post by markymark »

I have been checking these out on the internet. Reviews seem to be great for the Kemble Conservatoire and reviews on this forum seem favourable as well. Space is a big factor and a 64cm deep piano is not feasible for my livingroom space.

The Concerto model is supposed to be based on the larger Conservatoire model but has anyone come across the Concerto from Kemble?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The case is based on the Conservatoire with nice lines but the most important bit the back is not , its only 116cm. The hammers are better than the 112 models that Kemble do.

Don’t get me wrong the Concerto is a nice piano for its size, but not in the same league Conservatoire. If you have played a Conservatoire you would be very disappointed with the The Concerto

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

I think the phrase used by Kemble is "inspired by" the Conservatoire model rather than "based on". It's actually only a 114 back.

They look dead cool in Black and chrome, but if there's any way you can squeeze that 121cm model in.......
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

PianoGuy wrote:I think the phrase used by Kemble is "inspired by" the Conservatoire model rather than "based on". It's actually only a 114 back.

They look dead cool in Black and chrome, but if there's any way you can squeeze that 121cm model in.......
Okay Piano Guy. I was checking out my livingroom and I may be able to fit in something slightly deeper. Still thinking about Kembles, how would the Classic T rank as an improvement? A U1 would be great but that extra 5cm would mean that I'd bee sliding my wrist in between the space between the left edge of the piano and the large glassware unit along the other side of the room.

Again, I've only heard about this Kemble model and have not yet played it. Yamahas are fairly common here. Can you think of a good Yamaha that has a depth less than 58cm?
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

markymark wrote: Okay Piano Guy. I was checking out my livingroom and I may be able to fit in something slightly deeper. Still thinking about Kembles, how would the Classic T rank as an improvement?
It is so similar to the Concerto it hardly warrants revised comment. When pianos are as similar as these, the only couse of action is to play examples of both and then decide.

Again, it looks the biz in black and chrome, but it ain't no K121 or U1.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by markymark »

Okay last question about this....

Is the latest Kawai range any better than these?
I'm thinking about the K2 or K3 specifically.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

markymark wrote:Okay last question about this....

Is the latest Kawai range any better than these?
I'm thinking about the K2 or K3 specifically.
I like these pianos, but they're very different.

Latest Kawai build quality is vastly superior to their previous offerings, but they are not quite as "homely" as the Kembles, and casework is stark and functional, even in a wood finish. (Black is the way to go with Kawai, since the wood finishes are a bit sudden for most peoples' tastes) The Millennium 3 action used in the new K range is precise and accurate, and most of the old Kawai casework rattles are a thing of the past.

So not really "better", but an alternative worth trying.
markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Piano Update

Post by markymark »

Thanks everyone for your advice and feedback.

Just to let you know Piano Guy that I went back to the piano store today and looked at a range of pianos including Kawai, Eavestaff and Yamaha.

After playing the various models, I opted for the P121. It was a lovely piano to play with an even bright tone (but not too bright mind you!). It was very similar to the U1 I tried but the 62cm depth of the U1 was really making it too deep.

So, in short, my P121 will be delivered this Thursday! I have to say that the V118 tempted me for a brief moment but there was something lacking in the lower register. Good mid and upper range but flopped on the bass!

Thanks again!

Mark
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

The P121 is basically a U1 of five years ago anyway! It also has the benefit of a nice elegant cabinet as opposed to the heavy gold hinges and trowelled-off look of the current U1.

Enjoy!