some help needed for a newbie learner

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

binster

some help needed for a newbie learner

Post by binster »

Im learning to play the piano as a New Year treat however, Im limited on space therefore cannot accomodate an Upright Piano, as I understand it Digital Piano's are not much smaller.

Can someone help me out with some suggestions on alternatives that I can practise on as my teacher will be holding lessons on a 30yo Upright and after reading the various posts here, buying a standard keyboard to practise on isnt going to cut it....

Thanks in advance
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You could try the 6 octave Stinmayer Upright Piano Model S99 Mark2
Height: 99.5 cm
Lenth: 124 cm
Depth: 54 cm
RRP Price 1.495.00
this guy is selling them for 1.046.00
http://www.thepianoman.co.uk/
He has not got them up on the website but he is selling them

Later on when you come to upgrade you will fine that size of piano easer to sell

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
binster

possible alternatives

Post by binster »

Thanks for that Barrie....

I have searched the piano as you have suggested and it looks nice however, I have had a friend recommend a Studiologic SL880 Pro

I've searched this as well and its a full 88 key weighted hammer action keyboard and even better priced on 1 website @ 399.00

Can you please give me your comments...

Thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

They look interesting I have never seen one so I could not cement on them, if you have access to news groups try asking at rec.music.makers.piano

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

There are also older six octave pianos about, by makers such as Zender, made in the 1960's and 1970's. You might pick one up for about &500 (I'm near London, so prices are higher.) I'm not saying that's what they're worth, but many of the houses they're throwing up these days are so small that small pianos are at a premium, unfortunately. You may come across a piano called an Eavestaff mini piano, but be aware that because of their freakish design many tuners won't touch them; the tuning pins are under the keyboard on earlier ones which means we have to sit on the floor to tune them - I tend to charge extra to pay the osteopath afterwards!Their tone is also appalling as they are so ludicrously short. Any action repairs are also a nightmare on them. Kemble Minxes are small and are 1950's/60's; they are better instruments but still have inaccessible actions if repair is required. Challlen also made a little piano in the 1940's; it looks not unlike a bureau. Most of these instruments are small only in height, and to get a small footprint you'll probably have to get the six octave piano suggested by Barrie.
Good luck!
Gill