Broadwood & Sons Semi-Grand

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Ed Thompson

Post by Ed Thompson »

I have a Broadwood & Sons Semi-Grand in great condition with serial # 10895. Does anyone know much about these, how old, how collectable, how easily they are to tune up. Mine doesn't sound good, but the strings are still in very good condition. Also, there is a signature: Hillsor signed inside the sound box. Also, the name HF Woolmer is engraved under the lid. I would like to sell this once I have it tuned and set up. What should I ask? I am in Western Canada so it would be too hard to ship. Also, do you know about the steel pin construction? Thanks for any help! Ed
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

If it is a Semi-Grand then the date would be c1886 what is the length and width of the piano and what is the compass A to A ?

As to the tuning pins they can be a pain if you are not use to tuning that type of oblong pin changing strings on that type of pining system is a little more complex than on a normal piano with none threaded pins

As to price you are lucky if you get 250.00 pounds in the north of England un-restored I have one in the work shop that we are going to restore However, in the USA they can fetch silly money 10,000.00 pounds restored so I have been told the best person to ask about the pianos value is your local tuner when you call them out to tune it.

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Ed Thompson

Post by Ed Thompson »

My Semi-Grand Broadwood is 7'3" long, 54 inches wide, key on the bass end start at A and end at E (50 white, 35 black). The strings are the original, but are still in good shape. Pins have hardly been tuned. The only flaw on the piano seems to be two small pieces of Rosewood veneer have been replaced with a slightly reddy coloured rosewood. All keys are in perfect shape. The felt ends are flat and our tuner said they need to be reshaped. As well, the strings need cleaning, and the piano has this vibrating sound when you hit the keys due to the hammer bouncing off the strings and everything is way out of tune. A book of pianos stated that serial number 10895 Semi-Grand (7'3") would have been made around 1875, so I am curious to what source you found your dates. As well, it mentioned that 5000 were made. I will be getting a tuner to give me a price on making the grand playable before I sell it. I was wondering if a piano in such good condition, after it has been tuned (if that is possible) would be considered equal to a fully restored one? If the piano has hardly been tuned over the last 100 years, would you guess that the pins are still OK. Someone mentioned that they may have lost their torque. Someone also mentioned that the screw pin patent was not very good. What do you know about this? Thank-you for all you help. Ed
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

First of all the only 4.5 wide piano was a 6’ 11” long and was A to A production started in 1868

7’ 3 Grands only started production in 1836 and that was F to F

Threaded Wrest pins started in 1862

They did not make a piano with a compass of A to E ? or if they did it is not mentioned in any of their cats. Where did you get the info that only 500 were made ehst was the name of the book.

Having a piano tuned is not the same as restoring, restring, new hammers , new soundboard in some cases a new tuning plank as well but with the Threaded Wrest pins that is not an option plus all the action work

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Ed Thompson

Broadwood semi-grand

Post by Ed Thompson »

Sorry about the measurments. The Broadwood is 54 inches wide, 7'3" long. The keys do go A to A. The pins are not able to hold the string in tune and we are contemplating different methods of fixing this problem. We thought of chroming the pins to make them slightly bigger. We also thought of making new pins that are slightly larger. What has been your experience. The bridge and pin plate are in excellent condition. The notes hold for about 12-15 seconds when in tune and the action is quite light. We are now considering finding someone to do a total restoration and wonder what that would cost in Canada. Thank-you for any further input. Ed
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

First you must realise when this piano is restored unless you change the sound board it will no way sound like a modem piano, Also it has an English direct action which is only single escapement and one long centre pin on the hammers and velum hinges on other parts most rebuilders will walk from it.

As to the pins PTEF tape works on odd ones resin, and the one I am rebuilding at them moment I am trying out supper glue – You can also drill out the hols fit an plank and fit normal pins but that in my book is a no no

The best person in Canada to do a rebuild or advise on who to use is Stephen Birkett at University of Waterloo

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Ed Thompson

Broadwood Semi Grand

Post by Ed Thompson »

Another question concerns the decal under the keyboard lid "Selected by J Muir Wood & Co Glasgow" After some research I discovered that Muir Wood was charged by Broadwood to organize the pianos for Chopins Scottish concerts in around 1848. What could this decal mean? Did Muir Wood, who was a piano-maker, photographer and pianist and friend of Broadwood continue selecting pianos during his life? Fpr whom or what was this piano selected? I am still curious to the date of our instrument (Serial #10895). Thankyou for the tips about using crazy glue. Before we try this, we will do some more research. Ed
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Muir Wood & Co Will have been theor main dealer in Scotland that’s all and most dealer did and still do place a decal on the fall

Why are you curious about the date

Warning:
As to the glue be careful I was going to experiment with it others who have tried it have had some disasters – this process should be done when the pin is out and the glue painted on the last quarter of the trends and no way should it be applied when the pin is in place as this results in pins sticking for good

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page