To B or not to B.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

chopin952
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

To B or not to B.

Post by chopin952 »

Hello all.

I am finally financially capable of upgrading to a grand from my Yamaha P22 upright. After sifting through the rubbish that are the discount piano brands I am at a crossroads.

I'm in love with two women: the elegant, responsive, and well mannered Steinway Model B and the beautiful, outspoken, and reasonable Yamaha C6. I just returned from our local Steinway dealer and left pale when they told me the price of a new Model B. It is nearly unaffordable for me. Yesterday I left the Yamaha dealer and was delighted at the sticker price (even before haggling). The Yamaha dealer is a pro, he even offered to fly me to another state to look at any other Yamaha model if they didn't have one in stock. The Steinway dealer just shrugs and says, "Well, they hold their value."

I just need someone to make me feel better about buying a C6. I love the power from the bass, and the clarity from the highs, but the Steinway will always be in my dreams when it comes to tone, voice and action.

Come on C5/C6/C7 owners! Tell me your piano is the best in the world!

-Amilcar
Last edited by chopin952 on 20 Feb 2006, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Steinway or No way.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

You've just changed your signature, Mr. Amilcar!

Some forum members know that I'm a lover of Traditional British Sports Cars, but I'd make an exception for an Amilcar. If you indeed have one of these fine machines, then I'm dead jealous and you've obviously enough cash to buy the Model B, so bite the bullet and do it.

The only other piano in its class is the Yamaha S6, not any of the C series, lovely and amazing value though these pianos are.

So there you have it. If you can afford it, buy the B. If you can't, buy an S6. If you can't afford the S6, flog the Amilcar (to me!).
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Hi Amilcar!

What a great name! I wish I had a son so I could name him that!!

In all seriousness, you wouldn't be disappointed by any of the C-series from the C3 upwards, but the S6 is divine!
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Are we time travelling again?

How we do that?

PG
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

What are you using the piano for? Are you going to be doing five hours a day practice, thrashing up and down the keyboard non stop? Are you going to use it for treaching? Or are you going to play just for yourself, a couple of hours a day? If it's going to be nonstop or heavy duty playing, I'd go for the Yamaha. But if it's just for you and you can possibly afford it...let the moths out of your wallet!
chopin952
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chopin952 »

LoL. PianoGuy.

My name is Amilcar. From the Carthaginian General Hamilcar Barca. I would love to get an Amilcar to ride around town. Wouldn't that be fitting! :)

I have the money for the Model B, but it's most of my savings which to my wife means unaffordable. Our local Yamaha dealer doesn't have any S series in stock. I'd have to keep searching. Here, the C6 is half the price of the Model B, so I'm assuming the S6 is somewhere in between. That would be a bit more comfortable financially.

Thanks for the comments.
-Amilcar
Steinway or No way.
chopin952
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chopin952 »

Gill the Piano wrote:What are you using the piano for?
I normally practice two hours a day. Now that I am upgrading to a grand, I'd kick that up to probably 3 to 4 hours a day. I guess that's getting close to thrashing.

I love both pianos, I just have to bite the bullet (and my wife) to shell out the cash for the B. It's truly my dream piano.

-Amilcar
Steinway or No way.
helmllwyn
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by helmllwyn »

Hi, just thought I would add to this thread with my own 2-penneth worth. As PG will know, I decided on a Yamaha S6 back in October last year. I am thrilled with this piano. It has a silky smooth action, and a wonderful rich and mellow tone, but can really grunt in the bass when I want it to. It is supposed to be a copy of the Steinway B, but it was half the price!. My Piano tuner loves it, and he is a big Steinway fan normally. I would say,go and find a dealer that has an S6, and then if you really really think that the Steinway is worth TWICE! as much, then buy the B. I am a professional pianist BTW so I am not just using the piano for hobby purposes. IT is Gorgeous!
Regards Liz
chopin952
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by chopin952 »

Thanks, Liz, for the preview of the S6. I need to find a dealer that carries one locally so I can check it out. It does sound promising.
Steinway or No way.
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

just a thought, i know this is an old post - but it seems this guy is talking about the American model B, not the Hamburg one. I'd probably go for a Yamaha C6 over an NY B, and certainly an S6 over the two of them.

A HAMBURG model B might persuade me otherwise (although the last couple I played, that were new, were disappointing - strangely uneven, which I've yet to see in an s6)
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

I played a Yamaha S6 in Chappells over the summer and it was, without any shadow of a doubt, the finest piano I have ever played. If I could afford an S6 or a Steinway B I would have to reach a decision based on the individual instruments available to me; I'm sorry to say this but I don't think anyone can help you here. You have to buy the piano you like best.
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
Openwood
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by Openwood »

just have to bite the bullet (and my wife)
I had a girlfriend once who was into that sort of thing - you're much better off with a piano.
"Each day grow older, and learn something new."
Solon (c. 630 - c. 500 B.C.), Greek Statesman and Reformer
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

Yep Openwood, Yamaha have really hit on something with the S6. I mean, it comes with a high price tag but it still costs a lot less than any of the european pianos it competes with, and a well prepared one tends to play alot better.
genaa
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by genaa »

Might also be worth looking at the Shigeru Kawai range for that kind of money as well.....
Lynae

Post by Lynae »

Amilcar,

How is the piano search coming? I am doing my own piano search right now, though I am leagues below where you are looking; however, one of the two Yamaha uprights I am looking at is the selfsame P22 you are currently upgrading from, for $6,500 CAD, tax inclusive, new. I am a piano teacher with my degree BMus in Piano Performance, like you I practise (vigorously, I might add) for 2-3 hours a day, and on top of that I'm looking to have a sturdy piano that *could* last for the next 45 years without needing major parts replaced, if I can't afford to upgrade. I wonder if you would be able to tell me anything about the P22?

I'm especially interested to know if it has been a sturdy piano (not needing major work or unusually frequent tunings), if you have found the tone to get brighter or to get darker over the years you have had it, and anything else you could recommend or caution me about (such as, is the tone even from bass to treble registers)? Does the P22 music rack have as many problems as some of the tiny flip-down Yamaha upright racks that the music is perpetually falling off once you get to really playing, or does the music generally stay put? Are you glad you had this model of upright from Yamaha, as opposed to any of their U series? (A 30-year-old UX is my other main option, but I am less excited about that, particularly because I would have to buy it sight-unseen.) Any information you can give me would be much appreciated - thanks!

And I wish you the best in your own piano search - that's exciting, to be getting a grand!

Lynae
Lynae D. Muller