Advice and Help On Cramer Baby GRand

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

gg339

Advice and Help On Cramer Baby GRand

Post by gg339 »

Hi,

I have aquired a Cramer Baby grand and am attempting to get it fairly operational, however I'm confused with the action - it doesn't conform to a regular grand action in that there is no rollers or repetition lever - the jack pushes directly up on the hammer.
After the hammer hits the string and returning downwards, it seems that the jack slips from under the hammer knuckle. When the key is let off the jack slips back under the hammer knuckle again by virtue of a spring. There are two adjusting screws on the key base, and there are two adjusting screws - one on the jack - which seems to pull it closer to the hammer, and another which I am unsure of.

Any information pertaining to diagrams, and especially information on how to regulate this action would be great.

The piano is circa 1880-1900 I believe.

My sincere thanks in advance and apologies for the essay.

Gerard Gallagher
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Click on search above and search on simplex action

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
gg339

Post by gg339 »

Barrie,
Thanks for the reply - and apologies for the late response.
Unfortunately, the simplex action does not correspond to what I have.
Any other ideas.
To clarify, there are two springs, one pushing the jack against the hammer knuckle, and another opposite it pushing what looks like a parallel shorter "jack" which has another piece of wood at 90 degrees to it. This wood then moves against the hammer rest underneath as the key is pressed, and has a regulating screw which seems to change the key dip.

Thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Can you take some photos you can use image shack to post them on the internet

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
gg339

Post by gg339 »

Barrie,

Thank you for your reply. As requested, there are two images (links below) to files on image shack.
The first is a pic of the action from above - hopefully it is clear enough - the second is a hand sketch I have made of the action - together the two might give you a clearer picture (pardon the pun) of what the action looks like.

Thanks again
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

It look like a cross between a Simplex and an English direct Now in an ED action you have to have a small amount of lost motion about 0.5 mm or the thickness of a thin card, (this gave rise to the expression Carding) however, the Simplex should have no lost motion in both action the hammers were on the rest rail

I think you are gong to have to play with it to see what works best both have large blows 47 to 50 mm and a dip of 10mm checking is around 14 - 18 mm

I would send a PM to Bill in the history section he has quite a few drawings on older actions with some specks

It is a very interesting looking action have you dated the piano ?

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
gg339

Post by gg339 »

Hi,

Back online after some time abroad....

The action in the Cramer dates to circa 1890 - very unusual, hard to regulate, and not the best action in terms of playability, but nontheless interesting.

Kind regards
russellrexroad321

Re: Advice and Help On Cramer Baby GRand

Post by russellrexroad321 »

I have acquired a Cramer Baby fantastic and am endeavoring to get it genuinely operational, be that as it may, I'm mistaken for the activity. There are two altering screws on the key base, and there are two changing screws - one on the jack - which appears to pull it nearer to the sled, and another which I am uncertain of. This would at that point moves against the mallet rest underneath as the key is squeezed, and has a directing screw which appears to change the key plunge.