Brooklyn Piano Company

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Flaxman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Brooklyn Piano Company

Post by Flaxman »

I just tuned a beautiful piano today which has a most ornate cabinet, with mother of pearl inset into the front with some lovely extra features. I would like to valuate for this young lady but I have never heard of the Brooklyn Piano Company. I don't think it's an American piano as it has over dampers and I don't believe there is such an animal over there, however I could stand to be corrected.

Flaxman
A Canucker stuck in Dublin
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

Do you mean the Brooklyn which has a logo consisting of a triplet of organ pipes and "Brooklyn ||| Piano Co" written in Gothic Script?
Flaxman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Flaxman »

That's the one. Yes sir.
PianoGuy
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by PianoGuy »

No great value at all to speak of then.

Sorry.

I tune one myself actually, and in spite of humble spec, it's actually rather well made with a 'Victoria Illimitable Repeating Action" which is rather ingenious. The build quality has shades of Justin Browne about it.

PG
Flaxman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Flaxman »

I understand what you mean by no great value. I found the front of the cabinet had some very nice detail and the tuning wasn't too bad, but hadn't been tuned in years and moved a couple times so you know what that's like. Some pins wouldn't set and some false beats in the treble. Thanks for your input.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Little-known facts nobody cares about number 1,654,952:
The Music Trades Record reported in August 1911 that Mr George Green, of the Brooklyn Piano Company had died. He began the business with Mr Charles Savage, at North Rd., Cattle Market, London. Both worked at JB Cramers in the late 1860's. George was one of the best finishers and regulators in the trade and Charles was a fine organist and splendid tuner as well as an American organ reed voicer.
The business was to be carried on by Charles' nephew, George in conjunction with a Mr Smith.
So now you know... :roll:
Flaxman
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Flaxman »

Well thank you Gill. I love history and the history behind pianos is a bonus, so the info. is appreciated. Cheers.
Celie

Post by Celie »

When you say "of no great value" what do you mean? A friend has a Brooklyn Piano and he's hoping to sell it, but has no idea of the value at all. It appears to be in very good condition to me, but I am not an expert.

And no, I am not looking for a valuation, I'm just trying to determine if it's even worth his while to sell it.

Thanks much,
Celie
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Well, if you're in the states, it might be a different breed...I mean, actually made in Yer Actual Brooklyn. See if it has the organ-pipe logo on the lid as described by Pianoguy...if not, it might be worth consulting Bill on the History page to see if he has any info on the american Brooklyn company - if there is one.
Value here for one in decent nick is a couple of hundred quid at the very most (London price), but american tuners hate overdampers ('birdcage' actions) for some reason, and this might affect its value over there. Most of their virtue lies in the casework, it has to be said!
Celie

Post by Celie »

Gill the Piano wrote:Well, if you're in the states, it might be a different breed...I mean, actually made in Yer Actual Brooklyn. See if it has the organ-pipe logo on the lid as described by Pianoguy...if not, it might be worth consulting Bill on the History page to see if he has any info on the american Brooklyn company - if there is one.
Value here for one in decent nick is a couple of hundred quid at the very most (London price), but american tuners hate overdampers ('birdcage' actions) for some reason, and this might affect its value over there. Most of their virtue lies in the casework, it has to be said!
Thanks so much for the information. This one has the organ pipe logo and locations in Great Britain listed (three, I think) but no locations on this side of the puddle, so I'm figuring that it's a British one that just ended up over here.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

If your friend can find the serial number, there's an outside chance that Bill on the History page might be able to find a date for you. The number might be inside amongst the tuning pins or on the soundboard.
Lana999

Re:

Post by Lana999 »

Gill the Piano wrote:If your friend can find the serial number, there's an outside chance that Bill on the History page might be able to find a date for you. The number might be inside amongst the tuning pins or on the soundboard.
Can somebody give me the age of Brooklyn piano with the serial number 25974?
Thanks