Please help me which digital piano to buy

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jaromir
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Please help me which digital piano to buy

Post by jaromir »

Hi everybody.

These days, I'm choosing digital piano for me. I have grand piano about 100 years old, and I can play it only through afternoons (due to neighbours :), so that's why I am looking for digital piano.

I can spend max. 750 pounds for it... and I need only two things: 1. Fingerboard as close to real in grand pianos, as possible, 2. at least two pedals and wooden "case" - no stage piano please :)

Today, I tested Roland HP-1 digital piano which sounds good, but one thing makes me doubtful - when I press and release any of keys, it makes strange thing - when returning to "normal" (I mean not-pushed) position, it makes always few little bounces. It looks like the key is two or theree times bouncing of some hammer-split. Is this OK ? I think it could be problem when trying to play the same key more times in one
measure, for example. I looked to other models (HP-237, HP-2), and the do it too... Has anybody experience with these Roland piano ? Thanks to everyone for helping, best regards,

Jaromir
cwilson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by cwilson »

I envy you.. having a 100 year old grand piano.

I quite like Rolands from what I've seen, the first thing I noticed about them, though, is their sticky keys. I hate the feel of the keys, your fingers almost stick to them. The thing is, after playing a grand, it's strange to play a digital because they really don't feel the same. The nicest Roland I have played yet it the f-90.
jaromir
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by jaromir »

Well, thank you. At my teacher's class, I play Yamaha Clavinova CLP-130, and it has quite simillar feel to real grand piano. But this Yamaha is too expensive for me. Now I going to test Kurzweil Mark one, but I'm not sure, if only 32 note polyphony is enough for me... and for the future.
cwilson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by cwilson »

Yea, my friend has a clavinova. I could never afford one. I have to say I prefer Rolands though
jaromir
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by jaromir »

I'm going to buy Clavinova 115 probably. My dealer made me special price, CZK 40 700 ( = 814 pounds). Usually it costs about 5 000 CZK (100 pounds) more in Czech Rep. I tested it and sounds of piano and organ are average, harpsichords are great, and the keyborad has feel very close to normal grand piano.
cwilson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by cwilson »

good! I'm pleased for you.. harpsichord on the clavinova is the best from what I've played.