Buying advice please Yamaha v Other makes

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Stuart
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Buying advice please Yamaha v Other makes

Post by Stuart »

Would welcome any advice on which way to go in replacing (or restoring, but I think not) my present piano. It's a Danemann 5'2", around 1960 -70 which I have had for around 6 or 7 years. The main problems with it are: uneven touch, very, and I mean very, bright sound, which I think is largely due to the room - comments on this especially welcome. The room is around 20' but narrow, around 10' and a low ceiling, not much over 6'6". To make matters worse, there is a suspended wooden floor, under which is a sort of cellar around 2'6" high. So the piano sits on a huge sound box. (It sounded fine at the dealers - the old story) Now I have a little money - say up to £10k - I have the chance to reduce my frustration and increase my pleasure.

I am looking for a max 6' grand (space) with, for the above reasons, a mellow sound. So, a new Yamaha, say C2-L (I am in the South of England and can try the Yamahas at Chris Venables) or a used Yamaha? Any other makes - knowing that the Bluthners etc are out of my price range. I have read conflicting reports about the quality of used Yamahas - either 'little-used' from Japan or clapped out from Japan etc. Any pointers to good dealers for used Yamahas (or other makes) in the South of England welcomed.

I am a serious classical pianist - have performed in public in a small way. Repertoire mainly Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Schumann, Brahms. Intention is to have a piano that I can record from - have the equipment apart from good mikes - so that I can enjoy what I used to do when I can no longer play.

Welcome any thoughts on the above.

Stuart
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Me personally I would not spend any money on the Danemann grand The Yamaha, C2-L are nice, second-hand Yamaha can be a good buy most dealers are giving a 5 year Guarantee on their second-hand Yamahas and are happy for you to take in a tuner. Countrywide Pianos High Wycombe also do 30% discounts on new (but you have to ask )and have more pianos on display than Venables and other makes like Zimmerman which have come a long way from the 60 70s models

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page