School teacher are amazing

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

School teacher are amazing

Post by Barrie Heaton »

As I am sat here nursing my could I thought I would ring a few schools and book in some work to my amassment I just phoned a school who informed
me that they sold their pianos. One a K10 knight c1979 and one a Damonn school c1975 How much did you sell them for I asked "the small one for &150.00!" (Knight)

The Damonn would have fetched &1800.00 in a shop as there is one for sale for that locally and not in as good nick as yours I told here... &75.00 she sold it
for to one of the parents and as for the knight that was in Mahogany hardly a scratch on it (village primary school) that would have gone for &2, 000 + she said that the new music co-ordinator preferred a keyboard.

When will they learn to ask for advice

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Melodytune

Re: School teacher are amazing

Post by Melodytune »

Barrie Heaton wrote:When will they learn to ask for advice

Barrie,
One never knows. Its a sad state of affairs, and at a time when schools are complaining of a shortage in funding etc. they certainly missed an opportunity to get something reasonable back for the school, so in response to the thread title, yes school teachers are really amazing.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner
Gill the Piano

School pianos

Post by Gill the Piano »

What these teachers don't realise is what a false economy the plastic pianos are; five years down the line when something goes wrong with them and they try to have them repaired, the parts will be unavailable, and that particular model obsolete, rendering the "instrument" useless. Whereas the Knight and Danemann pianos they got rid of would have been repairable for another 20 years at least. It astonishes me how easily people are seduced by a bit of plastic and a drum beat!
Melodytune

Post by Melodytune »

That basically sums up my opinion. Ok I'm a Piano Tuner so one could argue that I'm bound to be biassed, it really does pay to keep some real pianos as provided they are decent (as these pianos probably were by the sound of it), they can be easily tuned and maintained, and will last for years.

Given the cost of tuning a piano twice yearly it would take some 20 years or so, to accumilate the cost of a decent electric piano.

It is fair to say that (depending on individual schools of course) there is scope for both real and electric/digital pianos as the latter are much more portable but they can never replace an accoustic piano entirely.
Chris Melloy
Piano Tuner