"compact-ish" piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

markymark
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

"compact-ish" piano

Post by markymark »

Hi to everyone! I have just registered and am looking for some advice. I am looking for an acoustic upright piano. I have been playing piano for the past ten years and practised on an older acoustic and a digital piano. I now want to return to an acoustic for the feel and tone of the keyboard before doing my Grade 8 and LTCL. Unfortunately space is an issue since we got a new suite of furniture so I have had to consider some of the entry level pianos because of their compact casing.

I have tried the Yamaha C109 and C110 as well as a Kawai upright (possibly KX-10 or 15??). I thought that the Kawai had a more responsive keyboard although the tones of the two makes were comparable.

Any advice as to the best model or any others that spring to mind? I can't have a very bulky piano and I don't want to spend much more than £2000-3000. I have heard about the Yamaha P and T series but have not been able to try any out - Any opinions would be most appreciated!

Thanks
Mark :)
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Have you looked at the Yamaha P112NT. Not much bigger than the Yamaha 110 but a richer piano the Kemble Oxford is not bad for a 110 model. There can be a lot of inconsistency in the 110 range of all the makes so you would need to play quite a few of the same make to find the one you like on the Kawai I would go for the 115

Other make to look at are Wendl & Lung , Gors Kallman, Petrof 115

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page