Schimmell too difficult for amateur?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

janetwilson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Schimmell too difficult for amateur?

Post by janetwilson »

I've just signed the cheque on a second-hand Schimmell Studio, for a very reasonable price, but now the euphoria has died down I'm wondering if I will actually be able to play it!
I'm about Grade 7 (unlikely to get much about Grade 8 in future) and play fairly gently.
When I played it in the shop I found it quite easy/light to play and I could get a nice sound out of the treble, but had to use quite a lot of weight when I wanted to bring out the bass.
Sounded really good when the chap in the shop played it.
What is now worrying me is... did it just feel easy because I was playing it wrong? Will I have to learn a completely different technique, with much more weight, to get the best out of it?
Janet
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Do you find Yamaha U3 heavy as they are about the same touch as a Schimmel

Did you get a free tuning with the deal if so when the tuner comes to visit he/she can see if there is any friction that should not be there

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
janetwilson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by janetwilson »

Thanks for your reply Barrie..

Yes, the technician will come out to tune etc in situ, but the person in the shop (who seemed very knowledgeable) seemed to think it was as it should be..

I've tried Yamaha U1 and U2, and didn't find them heavy... don't think I've tried a U3. Would you expect a Schimmell to be much heavier than a U1/U2?

Thing is, the Schimmell wasn't heavy to play lightly;
the problem was not getting very much sound out of the bass unless I put a lot of arm weight into it.

Are certain pianos just designed to be played at performance volumes, rather than quietly in a living room?

Can I bring Gill in too? Gill, do you have any views on whether there are pianos which are just a no-no for the feeble-handed amateur?
Janet
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Schimmel are softer in tone than Yamahas however, if it has been over toned on the nose you will lose power in the bass as the softer hammers absorb some of the energy as they move out of shape when they hit the string

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I agree with everything Barrie has said; it might be a Schimmelly thing as one I tune does have a slightly 'muted' sounding bass, but that's only one of five that I tune.
If you're unhappy, you could bring in an independent -ie, not linked to the shop where you got the piano - tuner, and ask his opinion, but having paid, it seems a bit late!
As long as the tone is balanced and uniform over the whole compass of the piano, I think it's something you'll adjust to, or you could have the treble toned down to match. If it's a question of touch, the technician will be able to sort it out for you.
janetwilson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by janetwilson »

Right, so you think it's the individual piano, and not the way I'm playing it? I just wondered if that sort of piano was only designed to be played quite hard and loud with lots of weight, rather than played gently.
But you reckon I ought to be able to get a decent amount of sound from the bass without having to really lay into it?
Janet
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

A good toned hammer should be able to give you the full range of sound with out having to play from the shoulder of course that all depends on the room as well

I would see what the visiting tuners says and does if you are still not happy then do a s Gill says get in a second opinion

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page