sticking notes on chinese piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

janetwilson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

sticking notes on chinese piano

Post by janetwilson »

I'm thinking of buying a Weber, a fairly cheap Chinese piano with a nice sound.
I noticed a couple of the notes were sticking... they can fix this in the shop, but ... is it something which is likely to happen a lot once I've bought it?
I know notes are more likely to stick on cheaper-made pianos.. just wanted some idea of how likely, how long they stick for, how difficult to get them un-stuck...
Janet
Brian Lawson, RPT
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Brian Lawson, RPT »

Easy to fix, should have been done before you saw it. Usually covered by guarentee for a year.
Brian Lawson, RPT
Johannesburg
South Africa
http://www.lawsonic.co.za
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

There's felt in the bottom of the keys which bushes a hole where the key locates over a pin. All you need to know is that new felt is fat and fluffy, it gets fatter and fluffier if the air's damp, and then it grips the pin so the key sticks down. The tuner/regulator can ease the keys (squash the felt back) so it won't stick any more.High tech, innit... :lol:
janetwilson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by janetwilson »

Thank you both for your helpful replies. And it was really helpful to have a reply so quickly, as I have to make decisions quite soon.
Janet
janetwilson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by janetwilson »

Actually.. I do have a further question... the piano is actually 2 years old (and I've seen the same problem on another piano of similar age...)... so maybe there is some intermittent sticking problem??
And if so, do I have to call out a piano tuner every time it happens at home, or will it just un-stick itself?
Janet
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There is a common problem with pianos from that part of the world I have has to re-centre quite a few new pianos over the last five years. It is manly the bottom sections the centre is forced in and they tend to bend this causes more friction, Pro Tecing (this is a silicon based lubricant) the pin helps in most cases however, in quite a few you have to re-centre. To the DIY'ers DON’T USE WD40

Having said the above what Gill pointed out is also a very common problem and as Brian said it is an easy fix compared with the above problem which can be expensive, both are coved under the guarantee.

With your piano if it is 2 years old you may have a problem under the manufactures guarantee as the normal get out is that the guarantee is not transferable if the piano is from a shop then it will be their problem

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
janetwilson
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by janetwilson »

Thanks Barrie.
The sticking notes I noticed were in the upper part of the piano (approx 2 octaves above middle C)... though I noticed some lower notes which didn't return as quickly as they should when played repeatedly... I assumed this was a limitation of a cheap action?

Actually, can I ask you another question?
Will a cheaper (and small-ish) piano such as Weber go out of tune more quickly, or does this depend more on heating and humidity of the room it is in?
Janet
Brian Lawson, RPT
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Brian Lawson, RPT »

I think it could be from limitations of little to no regulation of the piano, some dealers just unpack them out the box and put them on the floor for sale. You mention the piano is 2 years old so in that time it will have gone through some climate/humidity change and if it hasn't had any attention in that time then the problems you mention may be as a result.

A good tech can improve such a piano, the actions themselves are made with moden tooling equipment, not some guy sitting on a floor with a knife and chisel :P

As for tuning, as you mentioned humidity and climate affect tuning as in sitting by a radiator at the window will put a piano out of tune very quickly

my 2 cents, even though you really were asking Barrie. :)
Brian Lawson, RPT
Johannesburg
South Africa
http://www.lawsonic.co.za
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

As Brian as pointed out it is where the piano is t that puts pianos out of tune not the quality of the make. However, quality pianos do tend to settle down much quicker than cheaper ones form new.

We can go round in circles here with out seeing the piano it is difficult to say what the problem is a good test is play the notes with the sustain pedal down when the note sticks lift the key up a tad if it moves freely then it is probably the centres if there is a resistance then it is more likely to be the key.

An independent tuner not related to the shop having a look at the piano would be a good investment

Brian should that not be 2 Rands worth :)

Barrie,
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page