Steinbach

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Sarahb

Steinbach

Post by Sarahb »

Hello, I wonder if anyone could help me please? I have a 13 year old son who started playing on an old piano, his teacher and the chap who tuned it say he is good. I don't play so have no idea.
Anyway it has come to the point where they say he needs a better instrument to take him through to a level and beyond. I have found a Steinbach for sale. 8years old, £630, looks to be in good condition from the pictures and myself son, and teacher are seeing it tomorrow.
I appreciate that this is probably not a huge price but for me it is and I was wondering if anyone out there had any knowledge or opinion about this make of piano...
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Steinbach

Post by chrisw »

Hello Sarahb,
Good luck with your search for a piano. Have you searched the internet for info on Steinbach ? You don't say if it is for sale in a music shop. Given the price I will assume it is a private sale.
If it is only eight years old and they want £630 for it, it could be good value. Make sure it is in tune and ask for a record when it was last tuned. If out of tune I would arrange to take a tuner with you at a later date. Also you will need to think about getting moved from place of purchase to your home.

Important that your son likes the sound and how the keys respond to his fingers.
Last edited by chrisw on 01 Jun 2018, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You could also ask for the tuner's number to chat about the general condition of the instrument. If they don't know/can't find the tuner's number then it's a fair bet that it hasn't been tuned for a while.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

http://www.steinbachpiano.com/steinbachpiano.html

The components claimed to be used to assemble Steinbach pianos are of high repute. I note that this particular web page is ten years old.