Polyester damage\repair

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

devag

Polyester damage\repair

Post by devag »

Hi

I have high gloss polyester yamaha piano. Recently I have started to get some very fine surface scratches (nothing deep). I was adviced to use a very fine car polish creme (Menzerna Super Finish Plus 3800) as thats what they use in their shop. after using this i have ended up with a heavy build up of polish which I couldnt get rid of. I tried using the cory buff brite to remove it but no luck and infact the buff brite ending up making the finish appear dull. The issue with the polish build up was that every time I buffed it afterwards the finish would appear ok but then a few days later the build up just reappears.

So I ended up asking a company to help to remove the polish build up and remove the fine scratches. I received the piano back and initially looked ok but none of the fine scratches had been removed. And again days later this polish build up appeared again and they are not willing to rectify anything.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to rectify the issue?

thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Polyester damage\repair

Post by Barrie Heaton »

You need poor boys white diamond buffing compound and a heavy duty buffer like the Draper Car Valeting Polisher and time then a good quality buffing polish If they are deep scratches then you will need Konig Polishing Paste and Traz pads

Be careful at the edges as you may take off all the polish

Stop using pledge and the like, and get a decent micro-cleaning cloth and only use it for the piano

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
devag

Post by devag »

thanks for the reply. The scratches are very light, certainly nothing you can feel with your finger nail so very much on the surface.
Do you still advice the aluminum compound based on this?

also I have a dual action car polisher, would this be good enough or would a rotary one be needed? I assume a low setting due to potential heat damage?

just out of interest - I was under the impression the cory buff brite should remove these sort of scratches? I didnt have much luck with it, infact it did appear to dull the paintwork but i was doing this by hand....

thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

I have edited my post to poor boys white diamond it has Aluminium in it

the cory will work but it takes a lot of rubbing and it will make it dull to start but then you need to buff out the polish same goes for the white diamond we use it for grand lids bring it up to a showroom finish

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
devag

Post by devag »

thanks for the info. it mentions is a show glaze for light coloured vehicles. My piano is black. are you also using it on black pianos?

I have one last question - regarding my issue of the polish on my piano seeming to reappear after a few days (like a haze). Is this normal? this happens even after the piano has been "rebuffed" by a company I found recently and this re-appearing of the polish was the reason I had the professionals look at it in the first place as I thought it was a big build up of polish. so at this moment I feel like ive paid a fortune with no real results.

This has only happened since I used polish on piano. the polyester finish as from the factory never had this issue (as expected).

I do wonder if it was ever a good idea applying polish to the polyester piano in the first place now! - is it quite typical for people to polish high gloss polyester pianos? as the manual from yamaha mentions not to use polish (unless they really mean do not use furniture polish)

thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

devag wrote: 10 May 2018, 19:59 thanks for the info. it mentions is a show glaze for light coloured vehicles. My piano is black. are you also using it on black pianos?
Yes we use it on Black ones do a test area first
devag wrote: 10 May 2018, 19:59 I have one last question - regarding my issue of the polish on my piano seeming to reappear after a few days (like a haze). Is this normal? this happens even after the piano has been "rebuffed" by a company I found recently and this re-appearing of the polish was the reason I had the professionals look at it in the first place as I thought it was a big build up of polish. so at this moment I feel like ive paid a fortune with no real results.

This has only happened since I used polish on piano. the polyester finish as from the factory never had this issue (as expected).

I do wonder if it was ever a good idea applying polish to the polyester piano in the first place now! - is it quite typical for people to polish high gloss polyester pianos? as the manual from yamaha mentions not to use polish (unless they really mean do not use furniture polish)

thanks
looks like you have been using furniture polish which has silicon in it, silicon causes the polish to go dull and it is very difficult to get off I tell my clients only to use a damp cloth for marks and a good micro fiber cloth for dusting

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
devag

Post by devag »

hi

I have never used any furniture polish on it. infact I also used same method damp microfibre (first using feather duster to remove dust). the very light surface scratches were a result of this. They were not even to bad but perhaps a little OCD taking in account here. I then used the Menzerna Super Finish Plus 3800 to try and resolve those surface scratches but thats which has led me to where i am now (polish build up that keeps re-appearing)

thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Have you tried buffing out the left over residue with a clean buffing mop you have to be quite vigorous

BArrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
devag

Post by devag »

hi

this may sound like a stupid question but what exactly is a buffing mop?
thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There are 2 types used in polishing, the second photo is very aggressive and is used on new polish. The first is used in a drill or angel grinder

Barrie
Attachments
Buffing mop  pad
Buffing mop pad
Buffing mop wheel
Buffing mop wheel
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Anshula579

Post by Anshula579 »

Thanks for the information.