Spinet...Nils Frahm...Stock or modded?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

cliofreak

Spinet...Nils Frahm...Stock or modded?

Post by cliofreak »

Hey,

I have just bought a Kembal Minx and I am very aware of the issues I may have in tuning this thing.
I havnt attempted to have it tuned yet (halted by the snow) but I'll know if it tunable soon.
Obviously im worried about the pins slipping or there being a crack in the pin block.

I really really really want this size of piano in my studio (upstairs with limited space) and they are like hens teeth where I live (N.I.). I went to see Nils Frahm this week and took a pic of his spinet.
So... Ive heard him in interviews say that he bought this for £50 and it was not a very good piano.
Can anyone tell me if he has modified the pin block to be on top of the old pin block i.e.. allowin for a brand new pin block to solve any slipping issue? Or, if this is indeed a stock spinet from Denmark thats just in incredible condition?
Attachments
IMG_0251.jpg
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Spinet...Nils Frahm...Stock or modded?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

you have 3 options

1. you can change the pin block
2. you can change the tuning pins come up 2 sizes in tuning pin
3. chemical option, the cheapest option would be to pin-tite it or super glue it

All depends on your tuners skill set

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Kemble (not Kimball - they're american) Minx are normally fairly well made and as long as it's been well looked after and not overheated there's no reason it should have the problems that you mention. Why not get it looked at first before you start to panic?
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Gill the Piano wrote: 03 Mar 2018, 15:39 Kemble (not Kimball - they're american) Minx are normally fairly well made and as long as it's been well looked after and not overheated there's no reason it should have the problems that you mention. Why not get it looked at first before you start to panic?
Look at the piano its a top tuner Kemble did not make them if they did I have not see one. I bet they are a pig to tune lots of drag

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Given Barrie's last post I am inclined to think that the piano in the picture is not a Kemble Minx. The original poster doesn't explicitly say that it is a Minx, only that it belongs to Nils Frahm. The piano in the picture does look to be in good condition so if Mr Frahm thinks it is not a very good piano it must be to do with the touch or sound.

The original poster is asking if the pin block has been moved to enable top tuning. Presumably Minx are front tuners ? Speaking as an engineer rather than piano technician I would think it unlikely that the frame would have been modified to make this change, and I would be impressed by anyone who is capable of doing such a modification.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Changing the plank on this piano will very complex as it looks like it forms part of the bridge system. Also, looking at the tuning pins they look like they are pulling forward, could be the angel of the photo but there should be a 7 degree tilt away from the speaking length.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I tune three Minxes, all top tuners - in fact I only know Eavestaff as the dreaded piano with pins under the keyboard. One of the 3 has a few loose pins owing to its having been parked by a radiator in an old lady's home for many years but the other two - both dating from the 1960s - are fine and at concert pitch and stable.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Not pins under the keyboard look the pins they are like grand pointing up in the air zoom in on the photo
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Oo yes, nought out of ten for observation then! Sorry...do the strings go through the pin like a Brinsmead ? Must be really awkward to tune.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

if you double click on the image it will enlarge, then if you click on it again it will zoom in

you will see normal pins but the string goes over the edge like a waterfall

I bet it is great fun to tune

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

Barrie Heaton wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 21:27I bet it is great fun to tune
...not! :shock: