Do my piano hammers need reshaping or revoicing?

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

samchap1

Do my piano hammers need reshaping or revoicing?

Post by samchap1 »

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if you could give me some advice. Just bought a beautiful Knight K10 piano. I love it, but one thing I didn't look at before I purchased it was the condition of the hammers. I've attached some pictures, and would like to know your opinions. There are some developed groove cuts into the hammers but the overall shape seems to have kept OK. Would this be enough to affect the tone of my piano? It is quite bright, may this possibly be the cause?

I have another small issue with a few keys which are double striking. When some keys are played very softly, the hammer touches the string again leaving a tinny, muted sound. The dealer has told me this will be remedied when the tuner comes in a few weeks. Has anybody had this problem before?

Thanks everybody,

Sam
Attachments
20180227_133504.jpg
20180227_133440.jpg
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do my piano hammers need reshaping or revoicing?

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The hammers need reshaping ( that is called Voicing ) then they will need toning, that is making the sound of the piano suite your ears and the room.

As to the double striking that is regulating problem, looks like the piano need a good service about 4 to 6 hours provided there are no other issues with the action like centres or key bushings

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
samchap1

Re: Do my piano hammers need reshaping or revoicing?

Post by samchap1 »

Thanks for the reply Barrie. As the piano is under warranty, I will ask the tuner his opinion and if any work is required I should be covered. The centres and key bushings are all in perfect condition. Nice firm spacing between each of the keys.