What should I buy?!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

PianoMagician

What should I buy?!

Post by PianoMagician »

Hey there, guys! I'm learning to play piano and I have Sohmer Baby Grand 1960 Piano. My teacher has Steinway piano...And the difference is amazing! Steinway plays so smoothly, and the key stroke is short and smooth (unlike my piano). It sounds much more better!! I can afford a Steinway or something like this.., but I wonder if, as a beginner, I really need such a nice piano. So that's why I'm here looking for any help. How do you think, should I buy something from this list http://pianobrands.info/piano-brands/, or just let it slip and play on my old Sohmer 1960? Thanks in advance for any replies to this post.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: What should I buy?!

Post by chrisw »

If you are fortunate to have the money and space for a good quality grand piano then why not go for it because it will help your learning in many ways. If I was interested in Steinway it would have to be from Hamburg and not New York. Also the list doesn't include all of the best German manufacturers such as Bluthner, Sauter, Schimmel and others.
PianoMagician

Post by PianoMagician »

chrisw wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 17:42 If you are fortunate to have the money and space for a good quality grand piano then why not go for it because it will help your learning in many ways. If I was interested in Steinway it would have to be from Hamburg and not New York. Also the list doesn't include all of the best German manufacturers such as Bluthner, Sauter, Schimmel and others.
So it's better to buy smth German?
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

If your budget runs to a new Steinway then I would be looking at the top German pianos. I would probably not allocate myself a budget of that size (otherwise I might be wondering where my next German car is coming from) and would firstly look at the Cavendish baby grand which is made in the UK. I have spoken to one of the Cavendish directors at some length about their pianos and I am impressed about how they set them up before despatching to the customer.