1938 John Broadwood baby grand

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

1938 John Broadwood baby grand

Post by chrisw »

P1030237.JPG
P1030236.JPG
I came across this baby grand, serial number 255627, in a local church hall. It hadn't been played for about five years, was very dusty under the lid and the strings were extremely blackened. Obviously out of tune but not horrendously so and one key (Bflat above middle C) was sticking.

What I did find interesting was the design of the frame which had only two bars and only a partial cross member. I am now wondering if I should help the church get it back into playable condition. This would have to be at my expense so would need to have the piano properly assessed by a local technician. Any comment on the wisdom of such action or the design of the frame would be greatly appreciated.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1938 John Broadwood baby grand

Post by Barrie Heaton »

its a Broadwood barless grand you can get the book here
https://www.piano-tuners.org/piano-acce ... ano-2.html

Broadwoods are giving a talk in Shrewsbury in June on 100 Years of the Barless grand
see
https://www.piano-tuners.org/event/the- ... alk-8.html

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

Thanks for the info Barrie. For its size I was surprised how heavy the piano was to push into position in order to take the photos. One of these days I will attempt to calculate just how large you have to make the bars to withstand the turning moment.
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 11.44.38.png
its steel frame not cast iron, if my memory serves me. but was very expensive to make

They made a barless upright in the 90s at Ladbrooks in Birmingham but that was bit of flop.

Looking at the photo again its not a Barless grand as there is one Barr

this is a barless one above

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page