Gor and Kallman piano appraisal

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Lazypianist

Gor and Kallman piano appraisal

Post by Lazypianist »

Folks,

First post here. Hope all is well.

I'm in the process of selling my house, and renting for a year, maybe two. I have a Gor and Kallmann piano, which I'd like to take with me. Unfortunately, I'm met with looks of disapproval when I mention this to potential landlords. "Is to loud?" "Will it damage the floor?" and so forth.

Time is pressing, as the buyer of my house is eager to move in, and the piano has become an albatross around my neck when viewing potential accommodation. I could say nothing and just hope the neighbours don't whine about the infernal racket next door (I'm seeking a house to rent, but with real estate at a premium, I might have to take an appartment).

Assuming the worst case, and I have to sell, I'd like to get a rough idea of the value of the piano. If that's not possible, a rating will do fine.

Make: Gor and Kallman (London 1935, I think, see attached photos), underdamped and overstrung.

Serial number: There is a 6 digit number on the inside, top left 120317, and then another one on top edge of the left panel of the case, G3314 (concealed when the lid is down).

The mechanisms, hammers, pins, etc. have been restored. The soft pedal isn't working, and it does need to be polished; however, there's a lovely sound from it, and for that reason I would rather not sell it. I'd appreciate any advice. Many thanks

Lazy.
piano10.jpeg
piano09.jpeg
piano08.jpeg
piano04.jpeg
piano01.jpeg
Gill the Piano

Re: Gor and Kallman piano appraisal

Post by Gill the Piano »

The pedal probably IS working but is fairly subtle and not noticeable; when the front is off as in the pic, can you see the hammers move closer to the strings when the left pedal is depressed? If so, it's working.
If you were taking a guitar would you ask the landlord's permission? No. So as long as you don't damage the flat or disturb the neighbours, no problem. Just don't play after 9pm or before 9am.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Lazypianist

Post by Lazypianist »

Gill the Piano wrote: 12 Jan 2018, 21:08 The pedal probably IS working but is fairly subtle and not noticeable; when the front is off as in the pic, can you see the hammers move closer to the strings when the left pedal is depressed? If so, it's working.
If you were taking a guitar would you ask the landlord's permission? No. So as long as you don't damage the flat or disturb the neighbours, no problem. Just don't play after 9pm or before 9am.
I'll check. Thanks!

No, I guess not. No, I won't damage the flat. Viewing a 2 bedroom house tomorrow; not going to mention piano, just take some measurements to see if I can fit her in. I'd never play before 9am, but after 9pm at weekends, I do like to sit at the piano, play and sip some wine. :-) There's a rich melodic sound from it, so if anything next door might find it therapeutic?
piano13.jpeg
piano13.jpeg
I entered the manufacturer name and six digit number stamped onto the case into google. According to one piano age calculator, mine was made after 1980, but I don't think G+Ks were made in Britain after 1980. One one of the photos I posted you can see a five digit number on the left of the screw that fixes the cast iron plate to the case - 16 1 35. I always assumed that was the date of manufacture. Must do some more research on it.

I've got some more photos too:
piano13.jpeg
piano11.jpeg
piano12.jpeg
piano14.jpeg
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

I think they were made in Britain in the 1930s I tune one very like it and found a date on the side of the bottom key. You could try looking there, or ask your tuner to.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;