Duck son & pinker ltd

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Yuko

Duck son & pinker ltd

Post by Yuko »

Hi there

I need your advice regarding purchase a piano.
I am thinking to buy a Bechstein Model 10 (1912).
But my friend just pointed me that at the right hand side of the piano above the key, there is a black sticker saying “ duck son & pinker ltd”. My friend said the company used to make a piano and she googled their piano and said some of their own make have the same sticker on the piano. My seller said Duck son & Pinker is well respected retailer in his area. I asked him if he can remove the sticker, but he said it will ruin the piano’s heritage. The seller seem to be a very genuine person. What is your advice? I should keep the sticker or not?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Duck son & pinker ltd

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Retailers place their own sticker inside, on the fall lid and above the keys and yes it is part of the pianos history . They still do it today. I remember in the 90s having to go out to a piano because it did not have a Harrods sticker inside Had to put one on

However, I would be more concerned about the tuning pins as Model 8 are noted for having loose tuning pins so get a tuner to look at it

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Yuko

Post by Yuko »

Hi Barrie

Thank you for your reply.
My friend said as there is still Duck son & Pinker ltd Piano around, the piano"s value will be dropped as people confuse Duck son and Pinker
as a piano maker not a established retailer.
http://www.robertspianos.com/cdetails.p ... ker-Pianos
Above photo is Bechstein and below is Duck son make model but the sticker is the same place.
Should I remove the sticker or not?
Attachments
Bechstein.jpg
Duck son.jpg
Duck son.jpg (30.59 KiB) Viewed 11107 times
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

its a Bechstein which was sold by Duckson & Pinker ltd no big deal, up to you if you take it off. having the label there will not detract from the value.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Yuko

Post by Yuko »

Hi Barrie

Thank you so much for your reply!
I am so assured now.
I would love to ask you to do tuning once the piano is settled at my house but
you must be very expensive!!!
Please take care.
RWAS
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by RWAS »

The C. Bechstein name is clearly shown on the fall board of your piano and on the piano's iron frame. There is no chance of confusion with pianos made by the original retailer of your C.Bechstein piano.
I agree that retaining the sticker would be a nice way of showing part of the history of your piano.

Kind regards,
Robert.
I love the piano and its music.