Advice of selling Yamaha Gb1 and purchasing new piano.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

jazzman08

Advice of selling Yamaha Gb1 and purchasing new piano.

Post by jazzman08 »

I wondered if you could help me...

I have a Yamaha Gb1 4'11 baby grand in a mahogany case, its around 5 years old and in pristine condition - its been regularly tuned by a steinway tuner and kept in a recording studio.

I am currently looking sell my yamaha and purchase larger more 'professional' grand. I feel that the Yamaha doesn't quite meet my expectations, possibly due to the size and quality of production. I'm looking for something that offers me more of a pleasurable playing and recording experience with a good dynamic range suited for solo jazz piano and ensemble music.

My budget will obviously depend on what price I can get for my Yamaha. I was hoping to get around £6000, this would mean I could possibly go up to 10-12k.

I need some recommendations and thoughts.... I understand that I won't be able to afford a Steinway (which is a shame!!!, but i'm wondering whether I should be looking at another Yamaha or possibly a german piano such Schimmel. I would probably be looking at getting a second hand piano with my budget.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Advice of selling Yamaha Gb1 and purchasing new piano.

Post by chrisw »

I remember being impressed by the Yamaha C1 grand piano, now CX1 I suppose, when I was vaguely thinking about exchanging my Kemble upright. I was learning the Beethoven Pathetique sonata at the time and thought that the left hand tremolando was easily controlled and could also be played much more quickly than on my upright. I regularly play on a Yamaha G1 and I can understand your point of view.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: Advice of selling Yamaha Gb1 and purchasing new piano.

Post by chrisw »

I am not sure that I could afford a new Schimmel. If I was still interested in a new grand I think I would start with the Kawai GL or GX models, the Yamaha CX1, Feurich or Cavendish. Roberts piano shop in Oxford have placed numerous videos on Youtube to demonstrate lots of different makes including Feurich which for the money they seem to like very much.