New Kawai Age and History

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Therasa
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

New Kawai Age and History

Post by Therasa »

Hi all

Soooo excited today to have at long last upgraded from my digital to an acoustic

It's a Kawai upright AT 125, serial number is 2248993 and it has 3 pedals and a factory fitted silent system

Please could anyone tell me what year it was made and anything about the model, many many thanks :piano;
image.png
Bill Kibby

Kawai

Post by Bill Kibby »

Kawai's website suggests that it was made in 1996.
http://www.kawaius-tsd.com/pages/serial_manudate.html
It's a bit too modern for my history files, but somebody who deals in new pianos may be able to answer more about the model.

If you want to search inside it for a date, have a look at
http://www.pianohistory.info/datemarks.html
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New Kawai Age and History

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The only problem you tend to get with that age of Kawai piano is the first singles strings tend go a tad tubby. The silent system depending on which type light or prolongs, if prolongs they can get clicky if the piano has had heavy playing.

Enjoy your new piano, you will need it tuning a few times before it settles down.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Therasa
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Therasa »

Thanks Barrie, not sure about the type of silent system it just says Kawai Anytime on the box, pic attached
image.png
sorry don't have a pic of the boysx which is under the right hand side of the keyboard. The sound through my Bose headphones isn't as good as it is on my Yamaha digital but it's still better than using the celest pedal.

The previous owner has had it tuned every 4-6 months for the last two years and it will be tuned before it comes to me in Aug although I know it will need settling down when it arrives.

It will take some getting used to after my digital !!! :D
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

There are 2 types of sensors optical based systems and rocker its the rocker ones that tend to have problems with noise as they are mechanical, However, the optical ones can be effected by dust

Some who have only ever played a digital take a while to adjust to the fact that a piano moves in and out of tune, a Six-month tuning schedule the norm, However, I do have clients who have them tuned 6 to 12 weeks but they tend to record for them

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Therasa
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Therasa »

Hi again,

Meant to ask
. Can the strings - if they are affected be replaced ?
. Can the silent system box be replaced if needed.?

Are these kind of replacements very expensive ?
The piano is approx 48" high and is on castors it will be on a carpeted floor - do I use wooden or plastic coasters does it make any difference ?
Sorry for the numerous questions, one last one - where do I get an isolation mat as I have underfloor heating, many many thanks

The piano is literally a 3 minute drive for me, any recommendations for a delivery firm ? I'm in Sevenoaks Kent.

I think the biggest adjustment for me will be getting used to the sound, with the Yamaha digital it is so clear. I can't explain properly what I mean but for want of a better (much better) description acoustics sound tinny to me.

Thank you so much for your help, I have been playing for two years and taken 9 exams theory and practical in that time.
I did take lessons for a year or two as a child until I came home from school one day to find my piano in pieces on the lawn. My father had tried to move it to a different room, got it stuck in the doorway and took an axe to it !!! That was the end of my piano learning :shock: So you can see why getting a 'real' piano now (I'm 60 eek) is very exciting for me :P Thanks again for all the advice X
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Therasa wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 09:56 Hi again,

Meant to ask
. Can the strings - if they are affected be replaced ?
Yes but not cheep 700 to 2 K depending on who and the quality of the string that jut the Bass
Therasa wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 09:56 . Can the silent system box be replaced if needed.?
it may be upgraded yes, for a compete new system about £1200 + fitting

Therasa wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 09:56 Are these kind of replacements very expensive ?
The piano is approx 48" high and is on castors it will be on a carpeted floor - do I use wooden or plastic coasters does it make any difference ?
All major repairs are expensive on pianos, it takes longer to take the old stuff off than put the new one on, in most cases

Therasa wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 09:56 Sorry for the numerous questions, one last one - where do I get an isolation mat as I have underfloor heating, many many thanks
Ask as many questions as you like it not a problem we just want you to enjoy your piano. Your piano Tuner can get one for you and advise on humidity or lack of it, he/she may recommend a life saver.
Therasa wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 09:56 The piano is literally a 3 minute drive for me, any recommendations for a delivery firm ? I'm in Sevenoaks Kent.
Don't Don't Don't let them put it on its _BACK_ it must travel upright on its castors

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Therasa
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Therasa »

Thanks for the advice Barrie,

At the moment I'm having trouble trying to find a piano moving company for the date in Aug !!! Didn't think it would be so difficult with nearly a months notice :?

Anyway in the meantime I have ordered a special piano heat protecting mat (if that's the right term) as I have underfloor heating although we only have it on in the winter months and then relatively low.

I'm presuming that pianos are to be played normally after they've been moved but how long to you give them to settle in before getting them tuned/voiced ?

The other thing I was wondering was if I need to buy a humidifier ? We are in the south of England and it gets very hot and humid here. If I get one do they go inside the piano ? I notice Yamaha sell one that looks like a wand but I don't know how they work :?:

When I was a child I remember my dad putting a bowl of water at the base of the piano in the summer - any thoughts on these things, many many thanks again
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

3 to 4 weeks before you have it tuned. The bowl of water was OK in the 60's but theses days modem insulation and as you have under floor heating I would recommend a Piano life saver will save you a lot of problems

have you looked at our site for a list of movers

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Therasa
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Therasa »

Well our saving grace is we don't have double glazing ! Yes I looked at the list of movers, no one in my area, will keep trying - there must be some available surely :roll:
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

All of these will do it as they move piano up and down the UK al the time

Piano Logistics
G&R Removals
Butlersmith

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I have used Butler Smith regularly, and very reliable. They cannot allocate a specific date when you contact them, as they organise a few piano deliveries/ collections. I had a Kawai K5 moved from Yorkshire to London back in May.... usual turnaround is about 7 - 10 days. They will need to know the dimensions of the piano, and the kind of access at both addresses/ e.g. ground floor / no steps / easy access. Give Penny a ring or complete their online form.

Ask your piano tuner about dehumidifier products such as the "Dampp Chaser" (yes, Damp with 2 ps!)
Depending on the level of humidity (which optimum should be about 55%) - a small 25 watt heated tube can be mounted/ suspended inside your piano to keep away excess damp. The other cheaper option is a "Hydroceel" tube. However, for any products like this, you firstly need to purchase a digital hygrometer (combined) thermometer and place it on the top of your piano, then monitor the humidity changes. Easily get one on Amazon for about a tenner/ requires 2 batteries (usually supplied). Here is an example

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amir-Thermomet ... hermometer

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen