Advice on used Kemble Classic

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Therasa
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Advice on used Kemble Classic

Post by Therasa »

Could anyone please advise on this piano I am considering buying:

Kemble classic mahogany finish
Serial no: 185857
2 pedals (wish it had a practice pedal, can these be fitted ?)

Any idea how old it will be and roughly if in good condition what I should be expecting to pay,
Many thanks in advance x
Bill Kibby

Re: Advice on used Kemble Classic

Post by Bill Kibby »

The most important factor deciding the value of an old piano is not its name, but its condition, and the most important aspect of that is whether it holds in tune, because if it doesn't, repairs can cost over a thousand pounds, and this is usually more than an old piano is worth. Nobody anywhere can guess the value or condition of a piano without inspecting it on the spot, and checking whether it will hold in tune.

The number suggests that it was made around 1977, but if you want to look for a date inside it, see
http://www.pianohistory.info/datemarks.html

You would have to enquire in your area to see if any piano firms there can fit a celeste/practice pedal.
Piano History Centre
http://pianohistory.info
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Therasa
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Therasa »

Thank you for this information, I will look for a newer piano. I would like either a practice pedal or silent system

There are so many made in China it is very confusing in terms of buying, for eg I have just seen what looks like a lovely piano made by Dorffman, however I can't find any information about these pianos anywhere on the web.

I'm looking for the best upright I can get for around £1.000.00
Could be a costly mistake but I don't know what brands to look for
Any advice would be very welcome
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

My brain is mainly stuck in the 1800s as far as pianos are concerned. Dare I mention that if practice noise is a problem, an electronic piano with headphones may be the answer, some of them are very good now. I tried a portable Yamaha recently that was about £400 new, brilliant!
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
If you find old references or links on this site to pianogen.org, they should refer to pianohistory.info
Therasa
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Therasa »

:shock: I have a Yamaha digital piano !

That's the main reason for upgrading to an acoustic as many people have said they are better for learning technique and generally piano skills.

(I am studying for G5 piano after sitting 1-4 over the last 2 years plus 1-5 theory exams). :piano;
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

You can get a celeste rail (piece of felt on a rail which lowers between hammers and strings) retro fitted without too much trouble. You can get a proper piano which also plays digitally too - both Yamaha and Kawai make them, i think. Celeste rail would be far cheaper!
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Therasa
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Therasa »

Do you mean a piano with a silent system fitted. ?
Bill Kibby

Post by Bill Kibby »

When a celeste is set up correctly, it provides a muffling effect so the music is very soft, but these were sometimes misleadingly described as "silent practice stops", I am guessing you mean a completely silent effect? At any rate, you can't pracise proper touch when these devices are in use. Some "silent" gadgets actually give an annoying click to each note.
Piano History Centre
Email via my website.
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by chrisw »

I have a Kemble Classic bought in 1994 and I can recommend them as small and yet powerful (if you need them to be) pianos. See the following post on this forum;
https://www.piano-tuners.org/piano-foru ... sic#p46337

Any secondhand piano needs inspecting by a tuner/technician before purchase but if obtained from a music shop can come with a guarantee. Roberts pianos in Oxford have posted numerous videos on Youtube discussing the merits of various pianos.
Therasa
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Therasa »

Thanks Chrisw