Yamaha C3F vs C3L

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Ralwig88

Yamaha C3F vs C3L

Post by Ralwig88 »

Hi

I'm trying to work out both the differences and how to tell the difference between a Yamaha C3F (which I think were made from 1994 - 1999) and a Yamaha C3L (2000 - 2007).

Can anyone tell me how to visually tell the difference and what advantages the C3L has? I have a broad understanding from the serial numbers which I think cross over around 58xxxxx, but if anyone can be precise, that'd be great :)

Thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha C3F vs C3L

Post by Barrie Heaton »

2007 Yamaha changed the prefix from CL to CM
2012 Yamaha changed the prefix from Cm to Cx

you can look on Yamaha USA archives and it has all the selling point for the older models
http://usa.yamaha.com/product_archive/k ... mode=model

but for me the main change of the C3L was a better scale in the Bass still false be not as bad as the model before they are making lots of minor changes all the time

C3L is my favorite pianos to tune in the Yamaha C3 range

on C3F the frame was improved this improved tuning stability

But like all second-hand pianos it all about how they have been looked after and sound take note of the bass strings on the C3F they can go dull

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Ralwig88

Post by Ralwig88 »

Thanks Barrie

The read through your reply, but I'm still in the dark about how to determine a c3F vs C3L - is there a major feature that I can see to determine the difference on visual inspection?

Cheers
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Thy tend to be small changes not big ones. Take the string scaling that was a big difference to the sound but unless you got out a micrometer and tape measure you would not see the change by looking. However,the letter will be on the frame.

Kawai pianos made a change to the keys on the uprights last year visible as the pianos are deeper but you get it more when you play

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page