buy a KRAUSE OF 1910??

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

katanagnost

buy a KRAUSE OF 1910??

Post by katanagnost »

A friend is selling a german KRAUSE made around 1918.. The piano has a beautiful deep sound (it sounds so much better from the Koreatic/japanese pianos of the same price category) and no major problems. The price is 600 euros and my tecnician (who is my current piano tunner) says it may keep its tunning (although it should be tuned at least twice) and only some dampers have problem, that are not expensive to fix. Of course the hammers are not new and they will need to be changed, but not now. He says that for this price the piano is good although he hesitates to take the responsibility of making me buy such an old piano. Although when I asked whether with that money (lets say 800 hundred with tunning etc) I can get a better piano he said that I most probably won't. Although I told the seller I would bye it, now that it s time to give the deposit (and the more I read on old pianos) I am very doubtfull. Does any body has a personal opinion on these pianos or owns one?? I have read a couple of comments but they are quite old.. My other option at that point is a Petrof 115-2 of 1998, good condition, not really used, 800 euros needs only tuning, but not such a deep sound as the KRAUSE.
Gill the Piano

Re: buy a KRAUSE OF 1910??

Post by Gill the Piano »

You seem to have been careful, in asking your tuner, and well advised by him. Ultimately if it's structurally sound, you are aware of potential future restoration and you like it - and the price seems fair to you - then go for it. I like good quality older German instruments too and have tuned a few nice Krause pianos.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;