Harsh sounding note

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

PianoMike
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Harsh sounding note

Post by PianoMike »

Hello.

My D#3 sounds so harsh it stands out like a sore thumb. My piano was new 2 years ago It's had about 5 tune ups and has got worse. I pointed it out to tuner after last tuning and he had no words of wisdom.
The note is in tune - it's tone is awful.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Harsh sounding note

Post by Barrie Heaton »

PianoMike wrote: 02 May 2017, 13:20 Hello.

My D#3 sounds so harsh it stands out like a sore thumb. My piano was new 2 years ago It's had about 5 tune ups and has got worse. I pointed it out to tuner after last tuning and he had no words of wisdom.
The note is in tune - it's tone is awful.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Sounds like it just needs voicing, its quite common on newish piano for odd notes to go Bright to harsh. Your tuner may not be happy with voicing some are not.

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
PianoMike
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by PianoMike »

Many thanks.

I live in East Yorkshire. Is there anyone that can be recommended in the area?

Is there a means of uploading video to these posts, so you can hear the issue?

Lastly, and perhaps a very, very stupid question. I looked at the same model as mine in a piano showroom. It was new and the front panel had been taken off. The strings, pins and anything metalic gleamed and sparkled like jewellery.

Mine never did like this, so is it down to the lights in the showroom. Id hate to think my piano was a lot older than made out.

Thanks
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Barrie Heaton »

PianoMike wrote: 02 May 2017, 17:13 Many thanks.

I live in East Yorkshire. Is there anyone that can be recommended in the area?

Is there a means of uploading video to these posts, so you can hear the issue?

Lastly, and perhaps a very, very stupid question. I looked at the same model as mine in a piano showroom. It was new and the front panel had been taken off. The strings, pins and anything metalic gleamed and sparkled like jewellery.

Mine never did like this, so is it down to the lights in the showroom. Id hate to think my piano was a lot older than made out.

Thanks
A video would not harm.

As to the sparkled like jewellery bit .... Well show room tricks... its what the piano sounds like not what it looks like unless you are taking to your partner if they are very particular what sits in the room :(
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
RWAS
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by RWAS »

I am sorry to hear of this frustrating and disappointing note on your almost new piano. Your piano which you presumably bought new from dealer should have a warranty which will cover any problems arising after purchase provided they are not caused by environmental issues like extreme temperatures and humidity problems.

Such problems can occur at the "break" where the bass section changes to the tenor and the tenor becomes the treble.
Such transitions can be problematic, but D#3 is not a note in that area.

These problems are not easy to diagnose quickly, but voicing alone may not be the answer. Sometimes it is because a string is not "seating" properly at its termination points. I doubt that it is a structural problem in a new piano which would require more drastic intervention; but there could be a problem in the strings themselves for that particular note.

I would suggest that you seek a second opinion and ask the dealer from whom you purchased the piano for some professional support.

All the best!
Kind regards,
Robert.
I love the piano and its music.