piano recommendation for beginner

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

fitzdo

piano recommendation for beginner

Post by fitzdo »

Hey guys,
I am a complete beginner on instruments and am going to be taking some piano lessons soon. Have found a couple I want to rent off Fat Lama but have no idea which one to go for. Would appreciate any advice on what I should be looking out for and which ones you recommend (There’s a Yamaha P-120, Roland RD150 Stage Piano and a Casio LK-240). Have only ever heard of Yamaha if I’m honest but as a beginner, would love to know which of those (or any other ones) you’d recommend I go for.
Thanks in advance,
Fearne
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: piano recommendation for beginner

Post by Colin Nicholson »

The make and model is not important at this stage, and doesn't make much difference for a starter renting.
For any digital piano with a view to starting lessons, just note the following:-

1. Full 88 note keyboard / full sized keys (learning the geography of a keyboard is important early on)
2. Touch-weighted keys
3. Sustain pedal (after about 6-8 months' tuition)
4. Fixed cabinet or X stand with stool

At a later stage, you may think of upgrading, then ask your teacher.
Buying Yamaha is like buying Adidas trainers - buying the brand name, but not thinking of its practical use.
If you become a serious musician, then upgrade further to an acoustic piano.
Deciding between various makes won't necessarily turn you into a good pianist - the object at first is to get a digital piano with the basic "ingredients" as outlined 1 - 4 above.
Hope that helps.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen