The "C" in front of Sauter, Bechstein

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Pianist685
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

The "C" in front of Sauter, Bechstein

Post by Pianist685 »

What is the difference between a piano that has "C. Sauter" written on it and an instrument with only "Sauter" on it (same for "C. Bechstein"/"Bechstein", "W. Hoffmann"/"Hoffmann")?
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: The "C" in front of Sauter, Bechstein

Post by Colin Nicholson »

It sometimes depends on ownership/ affiliations / other names taking over a company such as brothers/ alias names.
Hoffmann have over 15 different manufacturing names (some not related), some made in Germany/ Austria/ USA/ Sweden, however they are made in China now. a company buying and taking over, so names vary.

You would need to stand next to each other 2 pianos (more or less identical), one without and one with the initial letter and only then could you tell the difference both externally and internally/ casework / mechanism/ stringing.
Some Kawai pianos have "Kawai" or "K.Kawai" .... both the same I think.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
marcon
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by marcon »

In the case of Bechstein, the C presumably stands for Carl (Bechstein), the company's founder. In the current Bechstein range, the 'C Bechstein' pianos are the premium range, and the 'Bechstein' ones are the next range down (followed by W. Hoffmann and then Zimmermann).

We have a 'Hofmann' in the family, which is a totally different thing from 'W.Hoffmann' even though we're not really sure what its origins were. And it's different from the various guises of Hoffmann too.
vernon

Post by vernon »

In the 30s was C Bechstein London that were prone tp frame cracks. Best avoided
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

Pianist685 wrote:What is the difference between a piano that has "C. Sauter" written on it and an instrument with only "Sauter" on it (same for "C. Bechstein"/"Bechstein", "W. Hoffmann"/"Hoffmann")?
Unlike Bechstein, the 'C' in Sauter does not imply a premium model.The 'C' in Sauter indicates the founders first name, Carl. It was some time in the 70's I believe that the initial 'C' was discontinued.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
RWAS
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by RWAS »

Kawai uses K. Kawai after the company's founder, Koichi Kawai, for all acoustic grand pianos. All the vertical and digital pianos have just Kawai.

Regards,
Robert.
I love the piano and its music.