Wagner CWS piano (quick advice needed)

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

dimebucker

Wagner CWS piano (quick advice needed)

Post by dimebucker »

Hi there,
I've heard Wagner pianos can be very difficult to trace because many companies use the name, but I have the opportunity to pick up this piano cheaply, but i'm not sure if its worth driving to (its quite far away)!

With these limited photos can anyone say whether this is worth looking at/ listening to?

Imagegif uploader

Imageimage uploading site

Imagepicture share
Last edited by dimebucker on 11 Jan 2017, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
dimebucker

Re: Wagner piano (quick advice needed)

Post by dimebucker »

straight strung im guessing... and possibly with a pressure bar??
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Wagner CWS piano (quick advice needed)

Post by Colin Nicholson »

I have over 10 listings of Wagner, so best to ignore the name altogether.
Cannot comment on whether it is worth buying - depends on price and your budget.

With old pianos like this, there are the four deadly sins to consider:-

1. Straight-strung (some are OK to tune and sound good) -- over-strung better
2. Over-damped (avoid unless in good working order) --- under damped better
3a. 3/4 cast iron frame / b.exposed wrest plank (old pianos lose tuning stability very quickly) -- full frame better
4. Spring & Loop mechanism (avoid unless in working order) -- tape and spiral jack spring mechanism better

The Wagner seems to have No1 stringing arrangement, and definitely No 2 - as can be seen by the wooden bar over the hammers in the last photo. Cast frame is 3b.
If Spring & Loop, best to avoid.

Sorry, photos 1 & 2 are of no help. Photo 3 is better.

Most pianos have a pressure bar like this - not uncommon, and the usual arrangement. Not really a main feature I would be looking for.

Most important: Tuning stability, good strings/ hammers condition, tight tuning pins, wrest plank in good condition.
Piano tuned recently within last 6 months to Concert Pitch and remaining stable.

Remember: There is no such thing as a cheap or free piano! .... you will pay the price later for delivery and possibly added tuning costs, which may require more than one visit.

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
dimebucker

Post by dimebucker »

Great reply thankyou very much.

So unless the overdampers work nicely and it has a tape and spiral jack spring mechanism - avoid.

In the ad actually it says Overstrung, but possibly they dont know what they're talking about... hmmm, for 300 euro this may not be the bargain I first thought..
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

At the top treble end, all piano strings start their formation vertically, or slightly oblique (right to left) for straight-strung or over-strung - so impossible to say from the photo if straight-strung, but given the look of the piano, it SEEMS to be s.s. (as I previously said). The over-strung formation takes effect near the middle of the piano, the angle becomes steeper, and the bass strings cross over left to right - in the opposite direction. Bass string end can be seen immediately their formation, but not the treble.

Here is an example of straight strung (oblique mostly) - Bechstein 10
Bechstein10.jpg
and here is an example of over-strung - Yamaha upright U3 - note the bass strings crossing over....
Yamaha U3 002.jpg
For over-damped pianos, the bridle tapes MUST be secured and in good condition for a tuning to be successful, as the mechanism needs to be removed several times.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen