Piano purchase and action/regulation question.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

sescott
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Piano purchase and action/regulation question.

Post by sescott »

Hi,
I have been learning to the play the piano for the past year as an adult learner although I did have some lessons as a child.
I now feel ready to buy my first acoustic upright and have spent many hours trying pianos from different manufacturers.
My teachers recommended Yamaha and I have tried a number of used U3s (there are no new U3s currently available locally) but always seem drawn to the sound of the German pianos I have tried.

Recently, I placed a deposit on a new Haessler H124 which seems to have a lovely tone and is within budget. However, I am not sure about the action which seems a little "mushy" to me and there is one key sticking slightly.
The dealer has reassured me that it will be perfect once fully regulated and adjusted. He also stated that the Haessler effectively a Bluthner piano and that the frame and internal components were essentially the same as those found in the Bluthner models. I now find that this is not actually the case.
Given my slight concerns, the dealer has allowed me to put the order on hold pending a visit to London where I intend to try the Bluthner Model A and a Grotrian Classic for comparison. I appreciate that these models are more expensive and that I am a relative newcomer to the piano world but I only want to buy once.
Any help with this most difficult of decisions is much appreciated.
Regards,
Stephen
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Piano purchase and action/regulation question.

Post by Barrie Heaton »

The Haessler H124 can be regulated to a nice level which should meat your needs
Sticking notes is not uncommon on new pianos, the best of them can have problems in the first year

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
sescott
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by sescott »

Barrie Heaton wrote:The Haessler H124 can be regulated to a nice level which should meat your needs
Sticking notes is not uncommon on new pianos, the best of them can have problems in the first year

Barrie
Many thanks for taking the tome to reply Barrie.
You have put my mind at rest.
Regards,
Stephen
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Either/ OR//// ..... Bluthner may have more 'pull' if and when it came to selling? (say in 20 to 30 years time) :D
Some future buyers may take a lot of convincing or may not accept the name Haessler
Bluthner speaks for itself.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

Good point. If you're going into Bluthners in the near future drop me a pm.

MV.
athomik
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by athomik »

As Chinese pianos get better ( I presume the name has been bought from a European - defunct - company), who knows if it might not be an up and coming brand which will fetch a fortune in the future? I have a feeling that, as more and more non-Asian companies have lower range pianos made in China, the Chinese are learning a lot about piano building.

And, as a first piano, if you like the sound and get it properly regulated, it will do you for a good few years.
athomik

Adrian Thomas Music Services
http://www.adrianthomas.net
Model V
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Model V »

I believe the OP bought a piano and is very nicely sorted indeed!
sescott
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by sescott »

Yes, I have bought a Bluthner Model A. It is a beautiful instrument and I am enjoying every minute I spend with it. I already notice a significant improvement in my playing which is probably due to the fact that I cannot pass it without sitting down for an hour or two!