Keeping a piano in a van - mobile piano teacher!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

benji101

Keeping a piano in a van - mobile piano teacher!

Post by benji101 »

Hi all,

I teach piano to mostly children but also have a wide selection of adult students. I currently have about 30 students which keeps me busy. I teach at a school as well as in the homes of some clients. About 5 of my students don't actually have a piano and the school I teach at lets me teach them on there even though they are not part of the school.

I've also had endless enquires from people wanting to learn but not having a piano. I also commute to where I teach so students wouldn't want to come out to play on mine.

This all lead me to thinking about getting a large empty van and putting a piano inside and teaching inside the van. I actually thought that it could be made quite nice inside (provided it was the kind with windows!) - I could install nice lighting, a carpet and even a coffee machine! I could then even drive to my clients - I think many people might actually really appreciate this service!

I know this is a crazy idea. However, can a piano be stored safely long term in a van?
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Keeping a piano in a van - mobile piano teacher!

Post by Barrie Heaton »

you would need some humidity control and the piano would have to be semi permanently fixed to the side of the van so you don't have to strap it up each time you move

Windows are not needed they will just give you a problem with condensation and sound How will you power your lights and heating in winter

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Gill the Piano

Post by Gill the Piano »

What a brainwave...but Barrie's right; you'd need it to be well insulated (polystyrene sheeting would insulate for heat and sound)and a rooflight would keep people from looking in. You could plug dehumidifiers and heating into the house at home when you;re not using it. However, if the pupils have no piano, how will they practise between lessons?
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
vernon

Post by vernon »

Add a trailer with a few pianos for sale or hire behind the van.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Might sound "Silence of the Lambs" (ish) .... when someone is packed into the back of a transit? .... I would keep your dignity and just tell them they must eventually buy a piano to have lessons.... even a digital piano would be OK for starters. If you are that busy, why bother?

Gill is spot on.... how would they practise between lessons?

I occasionally start a beginner knowing they don't have a piano for a week or so.... things like Chopsticks to get their interest. However, even when they practise on their mate's piano, the parents start to get a bit narked.

Depending on the times teaching, there may also be noise issues with neighbours?? :D
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen