YU3 versus YUS3 etc

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

510MEV

YU3 versus YUS3 etc

Post by 510MEV »

Hi,
I’d really appreciate the thoughts of players (and parents) more experienced than myself at choosing pianos, and especially with knowledge of old and new Yamaha YU’s.

I’ve narrowed it down to 3 Yamahas, all at the local dealership which is respected by our teacher, and which I think are doing their best for us.
1. A 2001 YU3 SZ (i.e. the silent option), at $9,000 Australian (just imported from Japan, not heavily used)
2. A new YUS3 (non-silent), available immediately and discounted from $15,995 to $13,000.
3. A new YUS3 with SH silent, special order 3-4 months wait, no discount, $15,995 + $3,500 for SH: so $19,495.
(Note just over 2$Au to the £).

The new YUS3 has some German components (Wurzen hammer felt, and Roeslau strings, added in about 2012, and in line with the C grand series); and the optional silent system is the updated SH.

There are a few angles which I’m weighing up:
1. Main user will be my 6 y.o. daughter – it’s early days, I know, but after 9 months she’s still keen. We added Suzuki to school lessons recently to help with technique and touch, and it’s confirmed our instinct to upgrade sooner rather than later. (Daughter is said to have good ears and perfect pitch but currently heavy hands + weak muscle – Yamaha a good choice for this combo?)
2. I suspect that my daughter will always enjoy music, and want to play, which is why we’re considering a piano that ideally would last a long time, i.e. forever if needed. She’s doing violin as well (school + Suzuki) – all by choice.
3. The silent option is ideal, so that we can double-up activities in the same room – reading, homework etc. We do have enough space to keep things separate, but my 6 y.o. likes company, and I’d like to be able to play silently myself. Longer term, our daughter could take it with her wherever she goes if she wanted, i.e., student accommodation. On the older model, the silent system is 16 years old, with only a 12 month warranty compared with 3 years on the SH system (though I’m told they’re all reliable for decades).
4. Feel, and sound: though I’m not very proficient, the new YUS3 feels and sounds quite a bit better. But perhaps I’m subliminally influenced by knowing it’s newer and more expensive; also some say that German strings and felts give a richer/denser sound. It does sound different overall to me, though they’re both lovely.
5. There is one note (a high C) on the 2001 model which to me feels very slightly different in terms of pressure, but neither the salesman nor my husband (both better players than me) can feel it. So maybe it’s just my imagination, but it’s making me uneasy. I’ve asked the shop to get the tuner to look at it again, though I suspect that if there is indeed a problem it’s very subtle.
6. Price: the new silent YUS3 is somewhat beyond our comfort zone; the non-silent YUS3 is more financially manageable; and the 2001 silent YU3 is obviously the one we’re most comfortable with (still a lot of money though).

Basically, there’s a $10,500 Au. difference between the silent 2001 YU3 and the new silent YUS3, with the new non-silent YU3 in the middle. Is this a no-brainer? We’d never buy a new car, so why am I so drawn to a new piano?! On the other hand, I don’t want to make a false economy.

I haven’t complicated this by looking at Kawai, and also I’m a bit hesitant to shop around too much, because I genuinely think we’d get good future support from the local shop.

Thanks in advance for any comments!
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: YU3 versus YUS3 etc

Post by Colin Nicholson »

There is quite a lot to read here.
Please could you condense/ edit your post to the most relevant parts, and convert all prices into UK Sterling.
Thanks.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
510MEV

Post by 510MEV »

Thanks Colin.

Sorry – that was a real eyeful. I suppose in condensed form (and after extra thought) it goes:

We have the choice between:
1. A 2001 Yamaha YU3 Silent – at about £4200.
2. A new Yamaha YUS3 Silent. As these are special order – they come in at the Aussie list price of about £9300 with no discounting.
(We’ve now firmly decided we need a good silent mode on our piano, for various reasons.)

Daughter is learning mainly through the Suzuki method. Although it will be quite a few years before she might really need a piano of such quality, we think it might help reinforce her skills. Obviously we are being somewhat restrictive by looking only at Yamaha uprights. We’ve heard that their keys are quite light, so that may not be the best thing for building up finger strength.

Any thoughts/observations welcome!
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Welcome to the forum...... that's more like the post we want to see!

Yamaha are a solid and good brand, but only if previously well looked after. I'm not convinced about the price of the 2001 piano.... seems a bit steep and paying for OLD extra electrics..... mmm.... check availability of a new PCB?

Not sure if you know, but when you switch an acoustic piano into 'silent mode'.... what you hear through the headphones (and what you get) is a digital piano.... not the hammers hitting the "Roslau" German strings. The mechanism changes inside and when you play a note in silent mode, a rail moves into position to prevent the hammer from striking the string - so the shank bounces off an auxiliary rail fitted with various fibre optics (I think!). The solenoids under the keys are the switches, converting acoustic into digital.... (round of applause please!)

Now then.... I obviously don't know your daughter's standard of playing, but in my 35 years of teaching piano, rarely do I come across a 6 year old with a strong technique. Their hands are still growing and wont be able to reach an octave yet. Playing the piano in silent mode (to her) might be like Lewis Hamilton switching from petrol to electric in his F1 car.... hence, lacking optimum performance and power. Same as pianos. Pedalling is also different in silent mode.

I understand the 'novelty' aspect of the silent version, and ensuring Dad dozes off with his hot chocolate while your daughter is playing.... but realistically, she should always practise and play the piano in normal mode.... saving the silent bit as a bit of fun only.

Eventually, your daughter may want to take up music properly.... who knows? .... and WOW! .... she is only 6.... so she has about 4 year's grace in the music festival world. What that means is that from the age of 10, she should be minimum Grade 1 (e.g. ABRSM exam grade standard).... from age of 10, add 1 to the last digit of her age, and that is the expected grade they should have reached (both piano and theory) .... so e.g. aged 12 = grade 3. and so on.
I feel that before you consider a 'silent'.... you must give full priority to your daughter's piano ---- and just get everyone else in the shed when she is practising! .... the touch of the acoustic piano is different to digital.... and no matter how light or heavy the keys feel, you can't take your piano with you (like a violin) .... and you have to quickly adapt to ANY piano with different weighted or even sluggish heavy grand piano keys. Some music festivals have grand pianos.... and some kids think they are hitting a brick wall.

Later, children learn various aural skills so that they actually listen to their own piano playing.... sounds obvious, but many don't listen, they just 'hear' the piano. Having headphones wedged on your head, and the digital sound is then quickly forced into each ear.... when in acoustic mode, your daughter will eventually need to "stand back" and listen carefully to the touch, tone and expression of each note, beautifully joined (legato), with subtle uses of the sustain pedal to dampen the real strings and hear the over-strung effect of the piano. (I should write a book!)

(Paragraph removed)

Personally.... stick to acoustic only.... a bit cheaper, and better for your little concert pianist later in life.

Thinks of this...... (dad) "Oh dearest, can you practise in silent mode, I want to read the newspaper?" (Daughter) "OK Dad.... I suppose I'll have to put up with the electric touch and sound, and just forget my pedal exercises for now" .... :roll:

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen