John Spencer & Co Piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

David Everest

John Spencer & Co Piano

Post by David Everest »

Hi from Down-under in Brisbane, Australia.

I was wondering if someone could help us date our old family piano. My dad bought it in the late 1960s. It's a John Spencer & Co piano and the serial number is: 53946. Additionally, is it possible to provide an estimated valuation for a John Spencer piano from that date?

Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers

David Everest
Brisbane, Australia.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: John Spencer & Co Piano

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Hi David,

You might get a better response if you put your post onto the 'Piano History' column.... Bill may be able to date it for you. From experience, Spencer pianos have different sets of numbers, so dating it by that number alone may need to be backed up with a photo/ more information. Please omit the last sentence though about valuation.

We cannot value pianos here - you need to book a face-to-face appointment with a piano tuner/ technician. The tuning needs to be tested/ pin torque/ general mechanism and cabinet condition etc. Local 'market' values of pianos in Australia differ greatly to here in the UK.

You have not mentioned anything about the piano?? .... condition/ colour/ when last tuned / mechanism type/ keyboard condition etc....

If you require an independent assessment to value your piano, you could contact my friend Phillip Shayer (Kapps Pianos) based in Byron Bay (NSW) who may be able to give you some general information, and point you in the right direction for a local assessment - he may be able to do an on-line valuation for a small fee.... worth asking.

Remember that even by providing a date from a serial number and a piano name alone doesn't open the "valuation" door.... a date is just a date, and only provides a little additional extra information. The condition of the piano, how it has been previously kept/ current location is important.... if in a garage, forget it! (I know the heat conditions from experience in Oz!) ......

For general selling (if applicable?) ...... look at Ebay and other auction sites to compare with. If selling locally, try your local paper - if on Ebay, add on the seller's fees & any commission.

Hope that helps.

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen