New piano - tuning recommendation

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

bartgovaert
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

New piano - tuning recommendation

Post by bartgovaert »

So I finally got my act together and traded up the Kawai K2 with a brand new Kawai K500. And it is indeed a great instrument.

Just a quick question - the instrument was tuned before delivery and it sound more or less OK to me, though not perfect.

When do you think would be the best time for a first proper tuning? I believe I have read that we should let the instrument stand a few weeks. I also believe that new instruments need to be tuned a bit more frequently the first few years, is that true.

Thanks

Bart
vernon

Re: New piano - tuning recommendation

Post by vernon »

congratulations on your K500.
Clearly Kawais are well tuned before leaving the factory as they reach us in very good tune.
Certainly leave the piano a few weeks to adapt to it's new settled environment.
After that, you will have to judge when your ear tells you attention is needed.
With Kawais specifically, I find they embarrassingly don't need much extra tuning when new.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: New piano - tuning recommendation

Post by Colin Nicholson »

There may be small discrepancies in the tuning/unisons/ octaves within the first (wait for it....) TWO YEARS. I didn't believe it at first, and when I bought my new K5 in August 2013, I thought I could just sit back. The first year is usually up & down, depends on the climate and any contrasts. After year 1, I fitted the hydroceel humidifier tube (about half full of water).... and it needed less tweaking. Year 2: I fully tuned it in April 2015, and still to this day, it is spot on....

I think it doesn't matter how many times you have it tuned in year 1, the piano's soundboard/ bridges/ wrest plank will settle properly when it is ready to do so. It's like feeding a dog, whether it is hungry or not, we still keep feeding it.

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen