Mum wants to evict her Monnington & Weston!

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Lizzie

Mum wants to evict her Monnington & Weston!

Post by Lizzie »

I would like to know a little more about a Monington and Weston, double iron frame, small upright piano.

It is in reasonable condition and bears a serial number on the frame of 53616.

The piano is at my mother’s house but at 85 she now wants to get rid of it. A door to door valuer came round and offered to ‘take it off her hands’ at nil cost ignoring potentially more expensive items in the house. This obviously roused our suspicions and would just like to know, does it have a value and what is the best way to sell it?

Attached is a picture for reference
Piano.jpg
Many thanks in advance for your help.
Gill the Piano

Re: Mum wants to evict her Monnington & Weston!

Post by Gill the Piano »

It's oak, fairly unusual these days, and very small, if it's like the one I tune. M&W were good makers. Small pianos are at a premium these days and that may be what caught matey's eye. However, any piano is only as good as its treatment has been; only an on-the-spot appraisal from a tuner/tech can tell you this. Get it tuned and evaluated - it makes it more saleable if you are thinking of moving it on.
I play for my own amazement... :piano;
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Pretty little thing...... if serial no is correct, dated about 1930. (Would need to see the numbers to confirm)

I would probably sell it on Ebay or Gumtree for a quick sale.... start about £50 and see how it goes. Regrettably because its straight-strung and possibly over-damped, the cost of a tuner & valuation may out-weigh the value of the piano. I don't think the piano trade would be interested.... worst thing is keeping a piano in a conservatory, so possible tuning issues....

Top Tip.... move the oil-filled heater away from the piano, and take another photo!

Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
foxpianotuning

Post by foxpianotuning »

Unfortunately in its current condition it wouldn't be worth much. Unfortunately a lot of people with older pianos tend to think that they are worth a lot more then they are. At least once a week when tuning a piano I get asked "how much do you think its worth?" and i realize this isthe reason I am tuning the piano. People often have an inflated sense of worth about an instrument that is dear to them or that has been passed along, often egged on by armchair antique spotting friends who insist it could be worth a fair penny.

Most often the case, even with a decent name, these pianos are worth more to the owner then they will ever be to anyone else. Not much of a market really for straight strung pianos. You will also need to really put your money in your pocket to get this up to a nice condition. Another misconception that people seem to have is that all the piano needs is a good tune. This is most often not the case. It most probably needs lots of new parts and a full regulation if not more. My guess is it would have bobbling hammers, worn hammers, worn felts and dead strings. The A is probably at around 370 which means it would need a hell of a lot of tunings to get it up to concert pitch(which isn't necessary if you are just playing it yourself but generally is for a good price for sale) Tuning it would obviously make it a much more playable instrument but I would be surprised if you got much for the instrument being honest.

That is not to say its not a beautiful instrument. Theres unfortunately just very little value in old vertically strung older pianos except in the rarest of cases.
vernon

Post by vernon »

who says it's straight strung?
When M&W introduced the double iron frame they became overstrung.I fitted dozens of them.
However, this doesn't negate all the comments as this 1930s piano has little value commercially.It could be a nice little worker tho'
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

At first glance left hand key block is short .... suggests straight-strung?
Photo of the inside would confirm :)
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen