Interpret Richard Lipp Serial No.

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

bladze

Interpret Richard Lipp Serial No.

Post by bladze »

Hi all

Recently obtained a Richard Lipp of Stuttgart Square Piano. I have a general idea of the age, however, I am more interested in whether or not anyone knows how to interpret the serial no. It's 913489. Do these numbers mean anything, or are they simply a random collection of numbers? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Alastair
bladze

Re: Interpret Richard Lipp Serial No.

Post by bladze »

A picture of the number from the piano
WP_20150627_006.jpg
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

The serial numbers I have for Lipp are mainly 5 digits, so it is likely you have recorded a stock or cabinet number... your numbers (starting 9) do not correspond. If you can tell me the "general idea" of the age, I can tell you which number starts to the serial number for you to look for; for example, if 1920s, the serial number will start with a 3 or 4.

Open up the piano fully, remove the fallboard and look near the tuning pins, or on the soundboard. Best to send a picture of this, so we can confirm it is or is not the serial number. It should be printed properly either stamped/ punched into the wood, or as a decal/ ink transfer, in black ink, about 2cm lettering. Don't rely on pencil markings or numbers written in pencil. You may also need to remove the mechanism, but take care if bridle tapes are weak.

Hope that helps.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
bladze

Post by bladze »

WP_20150628_001.jpg
Thanks for the advise. I'm terrified to start removing too much at this stage; I am very much an amateur. Piano is basically in good working order so I don't want to risk damaging anything until I've learnt a bit more.

However, I will try to upload photos of what I have been able to find.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

The numbers starting 9.... (top photo) will be a cabinet number - this will be replicated on various other cabinet/ keyboard parts for assembly in the factory, and may also be scripted nicely in pencil.... this number may be discovered as and when parts are dismantled, and are often hidden.

Difficult to see where the numbers are exactly located in your photo in relation to the whole cabinet of the piano.

Te numbers #2640 is the serial number (very early!), as I described the font and style earlier. A very early piano, and my stats book doesn't go that far back >> starting in 1875

1875 #8000
1880 #9780

After 1889, the numbers are sequenced annually, but as above, only appear for a period of 5 years. Estimating they made about 2000 pianos every 5 years, if you trace back from 8000 (e.g. 1870 #6000) it will give you a rough idea.
Lipp was established in 1831, usually start with about 500 pianos, then 1000 every few years, so could be 1850 - 1860s.

What date did you arrive at??

Other clues is to send a photo of the whole piano (nothing around it or on top), and if present, a photo of the legs and pedal(s)??

I would estimate mid 1800s, but can't put an exact date on it.
AA Piano Tuners UK

bladze

Post by bladze »

I was told that this piano was between 1840 and 1880. But they weren't 100% sure. Very many thanks for the information ref serial no. What you have said makes sense.

I have attached some pictures of different parts of the piano. Legs, pedal etc... It's a lovely piano but it does need some work doing. It is playable, but some of the hammers hit more strings than they should & at the moment, I can't work out if it is even possible to access them without removing all the strings. I have quite a bit of learning to do.

Thanks for your help Colin.
WP_20150627_007.jpg
WP_20150704_005.jpg
WP_20150704_004.jpg
WP_20150704_003.jpg
WP_20150704_002.jpg
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Look underneath for retaining screws/ bolts to loosen off parts of the key blocks & cabinet surround.
The action will slide out complete with keys & hammers etc.... I wouldn't remove the strings if I was you!
Front key rail may also come off. Gently loosen screws part way and move parts to see if they move.
AA Piano Tuners UK

vernon

Post by vernon »

That's the way to do it. Don't completely remove any screws till you've made sure you've freed something. The curved bit behind the keys should slide UPWARDS.If it doesnt at first, waggle it well as it may just be stuck. Once out you will be able to see the next step.
The action is probably in two parts that come out seperately. Everything is probably stuck and bedded in dust so much gentle jiggling works wonders.
If some hammers really are striking the wrong string (not just appearing so) then the hammer leather/vellum hinges are defective.
Our mission in life is to tune customers--not pianos.

Any fool can make a piano-- it needs a tuner to put the music in it

www.lochnesspianos.co.uk