finish damaged

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

GogueB

finish damaged

Post by GogueB »

Hi,
We have a Krauss Stuttgart piano of which we are very fond, though nobody has played it for a while. It has a black finish that looks like lacquer. Unfortunately somebody has spilled something on it (I think it was surgical spirit, but I am not sure), and the black finish is now stained with a few white patches.
Any advice on how to make it look nice again?
Many thanks,
BG
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: finish damaged

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Depending on what was spilled and how long ago (and age of piano), a quick fix may not make it a perfect repair.
If it is ebony French polish (usually on old pianos).... try this on a small white area first....

Have a cigarette lighter or match at the ready...... (you'll have to trust me here) .....

1. Wipe some methylated spirits on a white patch with your finger
2. Light the meths quickly (like you would light a Xmas pudding with brandy on) before it evaporates
3. VERY QUICKLY wipe the "lit" meths off with a dry cloth so the flame goes out immediately

That's it.... job done!.... the white stain should disappear (or at least be reduced in opacity)

Don't wait for the meths to burn out.... literally light it, then put the flame out within a couple of seconds.

If that doesn't work, the whole section of wood will need to be stripped and re-polished.
Krauss pianos started building around 1870 and ceased production in 1945.... so if the ebony polish is genuine, it will be at least 70 years old. The meths trick usually works, but might leave a slight cloudy white colour instead. If the polish is flat and not in good condition, it won't work.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen