langer vs Renner

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

johan d

langer vs Renner

Post by johan d »

Hello,

i am about to buy my first 2nd hand Rameau Piano. i don't know if it has Langer 75, Langer 80 or Renner Action. Does it matter? Should i pass on the deal if it's not Renner? i read/heard that Langer was inferiour to Renner...
It's about a Rameau piano N° 26 275, +- 1982, which plays beautiful.

Image Image
chrisw
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Re: langer vs Renner

Post by chrisw »

I have a 1994 Kemble piano fitted with a Langer 100 action. At one time I considered changing it for a grand but I have changed my mind following advice given both within this forum and by my tuner/technician that it would be difficult within a reasonable budget to better it. In any case the capability of the piano probably far exceeds my playing ability.
As regards a professional answer to your question there are a number of correspondents to this forum who hopefully will give you the advice requested. Needless to say I am more than happy with the action fitted to my Kemble and it still looks brand new.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Perhaps a contradiction in terms asking whether to leave it alone if not Renner, then saying it plays beautifully?
For curiosity though, best to check it out.
I've had no trouble with servicing/ regulating either mechanism.... but of course, even if one says that Renner is better than Langer, a scenario could be that a Renner action may have never been serviced in its life.... so that particular one would be poor.
I would also ask the seller how often it has been regulated - should be every 2-3 years (every 5 years max).... not just tuned. Also check the following for assessment:-

Condition of hammer heads (striking point) for wear/ grooves from strings.... how often toned?
Alignment & spacing of hammers with strings/ striking distance checked/ rest rail baize condition
Alignment of back checks with balance leathers/ any lost motion / damper lift
General condition of hammer butt springs and flange loops/ damper felts & springs etc
Condition of key bushings/ keys level / touch depth
Condition of materials such as leathers (both butt & balance)/ cushion felts/ baize/ cloth etc

.... the most important thing>> condition of strings/ tuning pins/ pin torque/ tuning stability /
check also no insect damage.

That's just a few pointers....

hope that helps..
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
NewAge
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by NewAge »

I believe this is the same 114cms Rameau piano you have spoken of elsewhere, which you've just had delivered.
As I understand it's not been tuned for many years, you'd be advised to wait a week or two to allow the piano to become acclimatised to it's new location and environment, and then have it tuned (1/4 of a half note out of tune can be unpleasant to listen to). Regulation is important too, don't overlook that.
A good choice by the way, I rather like some of the Rameau uprights. They can be excellent value, but like all used pianos should really be checked-out by a tech prior to purchase to avoid potential buyers remorse.
Good luck, and enjoy your 'new' piano.
I was playing the piano in a zoo, when the elephant burst into tears. I said, "Don't you recognize the tune?" He replied, "No, I recognize the ivories!"
johan d

Post by johan d »

Well It's a Langer 75 action... Some more pictures from the inside
I'll get it regulated & tuned in 5-6 weeks from now. For the moment it's 1/4 of a half tone out of tune.
http://imgur.com/a/7fYeB?gallery