Morton bros & co london OR Steck upright piano

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

philtrott

Morton bros & co london OR Steck upright piano

Post by philtrott »

Hello!
I got a piano I love, the make is Morton bros & co london upright iron grand check action piano. Unfortunately I couldn't find serial number though looked everywhere for it. It was given to me by a friend about a year ago. As far as I know, it was in a music school for many years, then moved to my friend's family. His both daughters learned to play it (so, it had been in the family for about 18 years). So, it is old and well used.

My parents' neighbour offered a piano in a very good condition. The maker is STECK, serial number is 173204. All I could find about it, it was made between 1960-1980 (I suggest 70s). This piano has had only one owner, a keen pianist. The piano was well looked after and regularly tuned (apart from the last 2 years when the owner was ill). He died recently.

I only could compare the tone (sound) of the 2 pianos. We moved recently, so my piano has not been tuned, as well.
As far as I can hear, Morton bros piano had a much more beautiful tone, it's a pleasure to play (though it obviously looks much older and well used). Steck sounds quite nice but its dull comparing to the first one. I understand it can be an issue of tuning, as well.

I will really appreciate your advice. I know, I should invite professional tuner but at the moment its not possible :(

Thank you very much in advance.
Phil