New Feurich 122 upright vs @1973 Grotrian Steinweg upright

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Kiwi
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

New Feurich 122 upright vs @1973 Grotrian Steinweg upright

Post by Kiwi »

Hello
I am interested in purchasing possibly a Feurich 122 upright (new) from the UK or a @1973 Grotrian Steinweg upright here in New Zealand.
I am wondering if anyone knows of any issues I should be looking out for in relation to either?
Does anyone have any comment on the Feurich 122 versus the Grotrian steinweg?
I am looking to learn again after many years away from the piano and have young children that I anticipate will learn in the next few years.
The Grotrian Steinweg I am informed has a Renner action, has been serviced, regulated and tuned.
Any advice on either piano would be appreciated.
There appear to be a few suppliers of Feurich 122 uprights in the UK.
Thank you
Craig
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: New Feurich 122 upright vs @1973 Grotrian Steinweg uprig

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Hi Craig
I'm not a piano salesman - just a humble tuner/ restorer & tutor.... but know bits & bats when I hear export.
The Feurich name itself is very old, dating back to 1851 and ceasing around 1988.... these were the 'old school' German pianos, and a pleasure to work on. The "Feurich 122" (I imagine in a glass polyester finish?) will not be German, but exported & reborn from China.... just sold in the UK .... not "from" the UK. I've never tuned or serviced on.... but I would imagine as new, they should be OK for the money? Usual signs are less quality in the action materials/ undercarriages not ogee shaped..... and a round plastic badge "impact" glued to the cast iron frame and sprayed over in gold.... look the part, but not GENUINE Feurich (in my eyes). There are other 'reborn' names such as Kaps (shipped to Oz) .... etc.

Grotrian Steinweg.... probably one of the finest names in the piano world, and well worth their salt. If its a genuine 1973, check the serial number starts between #110337 and ends #112312. It's a forty year old piano.... just on the brink of becoming 'old' .... but if its serviced well & tuned.... get it checked out.
Few pointers:
1. Check the colour of the back check felt/ shape of back checks (ogee or flat)
2. Check flange design/ and size
3. Check left hand action bracket - should be bow shaped
4. Check condition of strings/ tuning pins/ colour and condition of voicing felts
5. Does it have agraffes or a pressure bar?
6. Check condition of dampers/ insect damage? /
7. Brass inlaid name on fallboard AND proper decal/ raised ironwork inside to match
8. Genuine serial number displayed near tuning pins or behind bass strings/ soundboard
9. Check pedal trap configuration/ design and shape of parts (and half blow lever)

That's a starter.... hope that helps....

Colin

General rule is: Never buy blind.... always be there to try the pianos, and bring a tuner along. Buying on-line is risky, always check warranty.

Impossible to compare the 2 names (or any 2 types of individual piano here) .... and of course, it also depends on its final destination/ where it will be kept/ environment changes etc.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Kiwi
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Kiwi »

Hi Colin
Thank you for your very informative reply. Plenty to consider.
Craig
Kaj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Kaj »

Yes, Feurich today is manufactured in China and is not to compare with the original German instruments.
Most of the Grotrian uprights sold in those days was the model 112, a small upright. Do you have more information about "your" Grotrian?
The Grotrian 124 Classic is the best upright ever made imho. I have even heard many official Steinway dealers claim that. It is a wonderful instrument.
Kiwi
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Kiwi »

Thank you. I will see what I can find out.
Kiwi
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Kiwi »

Hello
It has the number 104 between the serial number which starts 108... and the name.
Craig
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Kiwi wrote:Hello
It has the number 104 between the serial number which starts 108... and the name.
Craig
Seems a bit confusing?
I don't think serial numbers for these pianos have other numbers (or spaces) attached to other numbers.... usually just a set of numbers on their own in a straight sequence - if the serial number. The number 104 may be for something else like a stock number (which are not recorded). If you sent a photo of the serial number, we can probably confirm this.

How do you know its 1973? ....

According to my book......
1972 #108311
1973 #110337
AA Piano Tuners UK

Kiwi
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Kiwi »

Hello Colin

Sorry, I probably did not make it clear.
The serial number is 108508 which indicates from online it is 1972?
Then further along closer to the manufactuers' name is the '104' (to the left of it).

Regards

Craig
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Post by joseph »

This is such a hard question to answer having not seen the Grotrian. What I can say is that I have played some Feurich uprights, some Wendl und Lung uprights and grands and I've been unimpressed with them, in fact left cold by them. I found them all a bit thin and nasal even after prep work, and they have a certain cheapness to the over all fit and finish, BUT they are in a cheap price bracket.

I have played many Grotrian uprights from the 20s to the present day and with the exception of a couple of clapped out examples that were pretty old, they had such a sweet, rich, clear and sustained tone.

Also look out for some English pianos - Challen from the 1950s for instance if you find one of the taller examples are wonderful but of course get them checked out, and Knight can be very good. I've also seen Chappells from the mid 1970s that have been robust and generally pretty excellent sounding and feeling. The thing about British pianos from that era is that usually they can be bought very cheaply even when the piano is in excellent condition
Kaj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Kaj »

How high is the Grotrian (without rollers)?
Kiwi
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Kiwi »

Thank you all for your further advice. The Grotrian I am told is 1050 high so would this mean the 104 number is the height? Seems otherwise an uncanny coincidence?
Kaj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Kaj »

Exactly, that is why I asked.
It is a very small upright and the bas will suffer from from having very short strings.
Kiwi
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Kiwi »

Thank you for your questions and advice.
Olek
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Olek »

I would not buy a small 1970 piano.
It need new strings and new tuning pins, and new hammers, at last, and dealers never will invest as much time and materials in such a small piano.

Small actions are also more difficult to deal with, the crossing of strings is exacerbated, creating uneven wear and difficult hammer travel.

In very good condition, j I could buy a 110 cm model of one of the good brands. But not if worn

The advantage of Sauter , Seiler Grotrian, Schimmel, in their dmalledtodels they may have build up to 1985-90+-, is that you can get them for a low price and they may have more musical quality than many Asian entry level pianos?

But repairs could cost more than the price of an entry level instrument, so out of keyboard rebushing, and general overhaul, they are not worth, unfortunately.
Whenever I helped customers to find such type of piano, the dating was at last, 1985.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

It is sometimes recommended to check the date of the last comments posted/ depending in the enquiry.
A month down the line - perhaps a bit late.
This client has recently decided to purchase a Bechstein model 8 / partly restored, and seems very happy with it. Looks a nice piano and hope the family enjoy it very much.

I contacted a local supplier of Feurich (on the member's behalf) - advertsing clearly on their website they had them in stock.... when they didn't!
AA Piano Tuners UK

Kiwi
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Kiwi »

I am very happy with the Bechstein 8 upright. Colin couldn't have been more helpful. Thank you to all who submitted replies on the forum.
Craig from New Zealand
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Glad it's all going well Craig.
cheers
Colin
AA Piano Tuners UK