i've just finished my Trinity LTCL (recital) exam

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

mikuru666

i've just finished my Trinity LTCL (recital) exam

Post by mikuru666 »

Hi everyone, i performed 4 pieces during the LTCL exam this morning. The performance of the first three pieces was fine, only a few wrong notes. But when i played la campanella , i suddenly had a memory lapse which made me skipped almost whole page of notes(the space between the notes that i pointed ).
la1.jpg
la 2.jpg
Eventually I didn't stop and continued to play till the end.

Will i be failed in Ltcl ? I know how bad this situation is, but i still want to know is there a chance for me to pass it?
Thankyou for reading this post =(
joseph
Senior Poster
Senior Poster

Re: i've just finished my Trinity LTCL (recital) exam

Post by joseph »

Hello there and well done for sitting your exam anyway.

The truth is I've no way of knowing whether you could pass or fail from a forum post. I would have to hear you play. There are many things that make a good performance - and the right notes are only the starting point. At LTCL level I would be looking for a secure technique is something I would take for granted, and if it wasn't there I would fail the candidate - but a memory slip is not necessarily connected with technique and some of the greatest performances have had memory slips - major ones.

I would look for a stylistic awareness, beautiful tone, refined dynamics, refined use of pedal, playing that displays a knowledge of harmony and structure, playing that displays awareness of the motive, and the phrase. I wouldn't necessarily be looking for a concert level performance for an LTCL exam but I would hope the candidate knows what it takes to make a concert performance, and since the LTCL is supposed to be equivalent to a final year music degree, I would be hoping that you're not far off concert standard.

Would a memory slip affect my decision? Well certainly it might lose you marks - I mean, after all this is an exam and it is a recital exam, so examiners hope that you can deliver the goods - but I might be enamoured with your playing in other areas, and the memory slip might not seem so important, so on balance you may well have passed your exam.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help to you than that, but without actually being there and hearing you play, I simply have no idea. Short answer - Yes, you could have passed, and No, you could have failed. It's also possible that you could have played every note in the repertoire correctly and still failed. Best advice is don't worry about it until you get the marks through, read the critique and then if you need to work on it again, resit.
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: i've just finished my Trinity LTCL (recital) exam

Post by Colin Nicholson »

As quoted from the LTCL syllabus......

"11.2 LTCL Recital
At LTCL, your abilities in performance should be demonstrated through a carefully constructed programme, involving contrasting and complex repertoire which includes variety in tempo, mood, etc. of a standard in line with the indicative repertoire list. The execution of the programme must show a wide range of instrumental/vocal techniques and demonstrate strong and mature powers of expression, concentration and sustained focus. The complexity of repertoire should be such that you are required to develop creative links between your performance and personal research, demanding deeper levels of interpretative insight than at ATCL."

It is impossible to say if you will pass or not, but if your performances of the first 3 pieces were flawless & without fault, I would like to think that the examiner would use their discretion for the Liszt. Lapses of memory do happen, especially if nerves are affected.

Let us know your result, and good luck.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen