Baby Grand Painting

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Babygrand

Baby Grand Painting

Post by Babygrand »

Hi all,

I bought a baby grand that was made in 1913 to restore for my girl friend, she wanted a white one so I painted it an off white in high gloss, it looks great but I am still not happy as it does not have a high enough shine to it.

I tried to different clear lacquers which turned out not to be clear at all but a slight yellow discolouration. On the web in America they have something called liquid glass that are two "poccies" mixed and applied with a scraper to form a glass effect but I cannot seem to find anything in the uk to create such an affect or high shine affect.

Anyone with any suggestions please?
Colin Nicholson
Executive Poster
Executive Poster

Re: Baby Grand Painting

Post by Colin Nicholson »

Please let us know the exact products you have used so far on your piano.
i.e. the type/ brand name of white gloss paint
Name and type of varnish used.... and how applied.
Name how the paint/ varnish is based.... i.e. oil/ spirit/ acrylic etc....
List the preparation work you have done/ chemicals used for stripping polish/ undercoat/ grain sealer etc....
Send us the link of the USA poly repair kit so we can see it & read the contents etc.

If you are not sure about these questions, might be best to leave it to a professional.
AA Piano Tuners UK

Colin Nicholson Dip. Mus. CMIT CLCM PTLLS
Piano tuning & repairs. Full UK restoration service
http://www.aatuners.com
Tuition ~ Accompaniment ~ Weddings
http://www.pianotime1964.com
Member of The Guild of Master Craftsmen
Babygrand

Post by Babygrand »

I used an oil base high gloss, not sure of the name as it was mixed at a local builders merchant but it is a very good high quality. It looks really good but it is just that for a piano I would like that glass effect. I have found an epoxy though and will see how that works.
Kaj
Junior Poster
Junior Poster

Post by Kaj »

Epoxy will not work on top of an oil base. You will have to first sand down to the wood.