Dummies guide to Bechstein

General discussion about piano makes, problems with pianos, or just seeking advice.

Moderators: Feg, Gill the Piano, Melodytune

Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Dummies guide to Bechstein

Post by Nutroast »

Please can someone enlighten me on the world of the Bechstein grand piano? What is the difference between, say, model A and model B?

Are they a good buy? Are there certain eras of manufacture when they were particularly good or bad? I seem to be fixated on them, especially the older ones!
Barrie Heaton
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dummies guide to Bechstein

Post by Barrie Heaton »

Nutroast wrote:Please can someone enlighten me on the world of the Bechstein grand piano? What is the difference between, say, model A and model B?

Are they a good buy? Are there certain eras of manufacture when they were particularly good or bad? I seem to be fixated on them, especially the older ones!
Manly size Model A is 5'11" tend to be 85 note and the B is 6' 8" the B will in theory have a better Bass. However, as we are talking second-hand that is not always the case Model A do tend to have a cracked Frames

What ever you buy you need a tuner to look at it

Barrie
Barrie Heaton
Web Master UK Piano Page
Nutroast
Persistent Poster
Persistent Poster

Post by Nutroast »

Thanks, Barrie. It will take a lot to get me to part with the upright we have, but I'm keeping an open mind!
pianotechman
Regular Poster
Regular Poster

Post by pianotechman »

Yeah, check the frame webs for vertical fractures near the tuning pins as Barrie says, you get a good one and they're a great model.
David Hamilton Smith